Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
More children after uterine rupture?(4 Posts)
I had my second baby 6 weeks ago. I attempted a VBAC and during labour my previous c-section scar ruptured completely. Both me and my DS are fine and I've recovered well but am concerned this means I may not be able to have any more children. I am very grateful for the two I have, but had always hoped to have a third and am getting very upset that I may no longer have the option. I am waiting to see the consultant who stitched me up to discuss what happened, but in the meantime wondered if anyone has gone on to have another baby after a rupture?
It hasn't happened to me but a friend had a successful pregnancy after a rupture. I had a preemie cs and have been told risk of rupture is high if I go for a vbac and am being pressured to have a cs. Would be really interested to hear more details of your rupture if you feel up to it. Very glad to hear you're both doing well.
ExpatAl - thanks - that's interesting and reassuring to know. I'm assuming she had another caesarean - do you know at what week she delivered?
I'm interested that you feel pressured to have another cs - my experience was the opposite, I was very much encouraged to try a VBAC as was told that was the safer option for me. I thought NHS policy was generally to try and encourage it where safe so you might want to probe why they're so keen for you to have another cs.
What I find alarming in retrospect is that there really weren't any obvious signs that I could pinpoint of a rupture, and no pain that I didn't just attribute to labour pains. None of the medical staff seriously seemed to suspect a rupture either, they decided on a cs as my baby's heart rate kept dropping and not coming back up, although they seemed to attribute that more to him being back to back (even though low heart rate is a tell-tale sign of a rupture). I think it took everyone a bit by surprise when they opened me up and found the rupture.
I was panicking a great deal during labour, and was convinced there was something wrong with my scar, but as I say I couldn't pinpoint a reason for this, so kept telling myself I was just anxious as I knew the risks were so low (I think it's about 1 in 200). It did feel very different from my first labour (I got pretty far along before I had to have a cs first time) in that I was contracting on and off for several days, but when I was having contractions they were very painful, frequent and regular right from the start, yet when I was examined when I first went into hospital I was only 1cm dilated. I was only 3cm when they decided to operate, but throughout was having the kind of pains I'd had at 8 or 9 cm first time round. Also, I was in constant pain that didn't really go away between contractions. Again, this is a apparently a classic sign of a rupture, but given I'd only laboured once before I again put this down to the process of being in labour.
Knowing what I know now about how apparently difficult it can be to detect a rupture I would have had an elective cs, but on the other hand the risks are low, and I guess I was just unlucky (or my first cs was a botched job). If you go for it, listen to your instincts. If you think there's something wrong, get it checked out properly.
I hope that's useful, and good luck whatever you decide.
Hi, yes she had a CS at 39 weeks with no drama.
I'm being pressured to have one because a preemie CS is more complicated and has the potential to leave much more scar tissue on the uterus. I've read a lot about it and it does seem that a CS is best in the circumstances but I'm really fed up about it.
Your account of the rupture surprised me - I thought it was totally traumatic and that it would be a huge risk to the baby. It seems as if it was relatively drama free albeit painful.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.