Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else chosen not to have NT scan/downs screening?

(58 Posts)
Holly94 Thu 25-Jul-13 14:13:24

Just had my midwife booking in appointment and she went through all my scan options with me.
I chose not to have the nuchal translucency scan or downs screening blood test as I wouldn't have amniocentesis/CVS anyway and I wouldn't choose to terminate so if it came back with high odds I'd just spend the next 28 weeks of my pregnancy worrying sick!

Just wondering if anyone else has refused the downs screening?

weallwearcapes Thu 25-Jul-13 14:15:12

Hello - congratulations on your pregnancy.

I didn't have the downs screening tests with either of my pregnancies, for exactly the same reasons as you have.

greenj1 Thu 25-Jul-13 14:16:00

Yeah I refused. I figured I would spend the rest of my pregnancy worrying if I got bad odds, plus I don't think I could have terminated anyway so my reasoning was don't have the tests!

fatfingers Thu 25-Jul-13 14:17:29

Yes, I always refuse these screening tests for exactly the same reasons as you. They can only give you a probability anyway so it seems like an unnecessary worry. But then again, I am a "cross that bridge when you come to it" type of person!

HarderToKidnap Thu 25-Jul-13 14:20:39

I didn't have it. Wouldn't terminate for downs, personally, so didn't seem a point. Also don't quite understand the logic of giving you a probability for something that has actually already happened, seems a bit meaningless. If I felt very strongly I would skip straight to the diagnostic tests.

HarderToKidnap Thu 25-Jul-13 14:21:21

They do look at the NT anyway, as a thick NT can mean other things like heart defects. They just don't give you any probability figures.

worldgonecrazy Thu 25-Jul-13 14:28:59

I didn't have it either, for the same reasons. But I did have a wobble and get a ruler out on the scan pics to check nuchal fold thickness.

FobblyWoof Thu 25-Jul-13 14:49:23

I debated whether to or not as I wouldn't want the further testibg or a termination but decided to have the test done in both my pregnancies so that I could prepare myself for the potential. I totally get why people choose either way though

SeriousStuff Thu 25-Jul-13 16:05:46

We didn't have it - always knew we would never abort for Downs so no point.

knittingirl Thu 25-Jul-13 16:35:15

I didn't either, for the same reasons as you.

CheeseFondueRocks Thu 25-Jul-13 17:27:00

I didn't have the Downs screening either with any of my 2 pregnancies for exactly those reasons.

maja00 Thu 25-Jul-13 17:30:26

They didn't off the nuchal scan when I had DS 3 year ago, but I turned down the blood test as I am needle phobic and didn't feel it was that important to me, especially as the risk was very low in my mid-20s.

CinnabarRed Thu 25-Jul-13 17:35:58

I didn't for my first two, for exactly the reasons you outline.

I did for my third. Our reasoning hadn't changed in that we knew we wouldn't terminate irrespective of the outcome, but with two existing children under the age of three (at that time) I felt that if DS3 did have DS I wanted time to prepare before he came.

Green18 Thu 25-Jul-13 17:41:01

Hi . I declined all of those tests for the exact same reasons as you. Follow YOUR instinct, it will come in handy when bringing up your children. Yo will be given so much advice but only you know what is right for you and your child. Mine are 13 and 9 now and thriving. Mistakes made along the way(usually when i have followed someone elses advice).

WipsGlitter Thu 25-Jul-13 17:42:53

I didn't have them. My child does have Down's syndrome. Big shock. Would I have the tests if I got pregnant again? Don't know...

I was offered the NT with DD (in London hospital) and had it because they were doing scan anyway and I felt I might as well. Response was reassuring for my age so that worked out well for me.

A few years later with DS (and now out in the sticks !) I was not offered the NT, but only blood tests I think. I declined these as I wouldn''t have gone down the CVS/amnio route anyway.

Basically I was happy to have the scan and anything they could tell me (hopefully reassuring !) from that - for my and baby's well-being.
So those were my thoughts and approach to it all anyway.

Congratulations and best wishes for your pregnancy !

RedPencils Thu 25-Jul-13 17:52:02

I had DTs so was advised that the blood tests would show up increased markers and the only conclusive way was to have an amino. My cons also said he wouldn't perform An amino on me as I wasn't in a high risk group) because the risk to the pg was too great.

Before I found out I was having DTs I had made the decision that I would have all the tests. I have a relative with downs so take the view that I'd like to know beforehand.

FoofFighter Thu 25-Jul-13 17:55:29

I didn't want Downs screening but at the scan they still measured the nuchal thing and looked at the nasal bone anyway.

Our reasons were that we wouldn't terminate for Downs anyway, and any of the other trisomies would probably show up problems at the scans at 12/20/34 anyway. I am 40 now and my ratio probably would have been high purely on that too.

mustardtomango Thu 25-Jul-13 18:01:56

We didn't have it either... Termination wasn't a subject I wanted to think about, and even removing that from the equation I didn't want to spoil such a lovely time by worrying about scores and likelihoods and the rest

MaryKatharine Thu 25-Jul-13 18:25:10

I think you've got to make the decision that is right for you. I had all the tests going because even though we had decided not to terminate whatever the outcome, I actually wanted to know if we were facing DS to enable me to prepare. I had read quite a few accounts from women who found out at birth and how the whole joyous occasion was spoilt and how they often found it difficult to bond with their baby. They also talked about the grieving process for the baby they thought they were going to have.

So, my reasoning was that although we would not have terminated, finding out half way through would have allowed us to prepare both ourselves and others we we close to so that when the baby came along, there was no shock, no grief, just joy.

VashtaNerada Thu 25-Jul-13 18:29:39

I didn't have the test but I do think it's a big decision and it's important not to underestimate how hard it can be raising a child with Downs.

Holly94 Thu 25-Jul-13 18:40:31

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I'm 18 so my midwife told me I fall into the least 'at risk' category - statsitically I have something like a less than one in 1500 chance of having a baby born with DS purely based on my age, which reassures me.
I'm a natural worrier and suffer from anxiety so wouldn't have the amniocentesis because of miscarriage risk (however low) and just want to enjoy my pregnancy without worrying about something that I have no control over. I don't doubt that raising a DS child would be incredibly difficult but like someone up thread said, me and DP have said we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Congratulations everybody on your lovely babies (even if they're not babies anymore!)

Chubfuddler Thu 25-Jul-13 18:44:22

Not currently pregnant but I didn't have blood test for the same reasons as you, I wasn't going to have an amino or a termination so there didn't seem to be any point. MW completely agreed with me.

Soupqueen Thu 25-Jul-13 18:50:23

I see a few comments "I wouldn't terminate for Downs". Are people aware that the test is for more than Downs? It's also for some conditions which are incompatible with life.

Still your decision, as long as you're aware of what the test is for.

Holly94 Thu 25-Jul-13 18:52:21

Soupqueen the midwife didn't tell me it was for other conditions, she just told me it was a Downs screening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now