Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried First Time Mum To Be

(29 Posts)
LittlePeaPod Sun 21-Jul-13 07:57:07

Hoping to hear some experiences from the more experienced mums and the ladies further on or at the same stage in pregnancy as me. I am 16+3 today.

I am worried about my weight or how much weight I should gave gained by now. I am worried that I have not gained any enough weight. I still weigh exactly the same as I did pre-pregancy. Only difference is I don't fit into my old jeans/trousers because I can't fit them round my waist. At my 12 week scan, the consultant said he was happy with the baby's size and amniotic fluid etc. But all my friends and SIL (who is currently 25 weeks pregnant with DC2) keep telling me how they had put at least 6lbs/12lbs on by the time they were 16 weeks. It's seems I am the only one that hasn't put any weight on in my group of friends/family. This is concerning me because worried it my weight could affect the baby. Also starting to worry about the baby's health.

Please could you tell me how your weight progressed through pregnancy particularly the first and second trimester?

Thank you in advance.

fluffyraggies Sun 21-Jul-13 08:01:30

Ask your midwife OP. She may be able to reassure you properly.

I've got 3 DCs and my weight gain was different at different times through the pregnancy with each one. I lost weight with my first as i was so sick. Baby was fine though smile With no. 2 i put on quite a bit. No. 3 was more 'text book'.

If you feel ok, and the baby looks ok, then try not to worry x

LittlePeaPod Sun 21-Jul-13 08:05:32

Thank you for your post.

williwonti Sun 21-Jul-13 08:08:38

It's not an exact science and is a very individual thing. I put a fair bit with my first but he was a 10lb+ baby. if you know you are eating well/enough and drinking fluids, then you doing what you need to. But just check with your MW.

LittlePeaPod Sun 21-Jul-13 08:41:36

Thanks ladies. I have my 16 week appointment with MW on Monday so I will ask her. I have (still am) been suffering really bad with pregnancy sickness. Actually got admitted into hospital early in pregnancy.

Just wanted to hear that this does happen and I am not alone.

Thank you again..

karinmaria Sun 21-Jul-13 08:57:40

I didn't have morning sickness and didn't start putting on weight until around 22 weeks. Ended up putting on loads in the last months! Healthy 7lb baby.

A friend lost weight due to awful sickness in her first tri, then was able to eat in her second which helped, and then was sick again in the third. Baby was healthy (she had extra scans in get third tri due to the sickness causing her to not gain any weight).

chillisbopper Sun 21-Jul-13 09:41:58

I haven't had any throwing up but I don't think I've gained weight either. Not got scales at home or I'd be glued to them to check grin but I'm just going to ask mw to check at my 22 wk appointment on Wednesday.

I have been really worried about it but I read in my book given by nhs that some women loose weight first trimester and I don't think I've lost any so that was reassuring.

At your 16 wk appointment ask them to do the heartbeat, I found it put my mind at rest on two points...the heartbeat was amazing to hear (although I was prepared for if they couldn't find it because they can't always apparently) but when feeling around to do it the mw randomly said that my stomach felt "still a bit soft, that's good for this stage of gestation" so when I was worried about not having much growth that helped to know it should still be like that. So you could always ask when they are doing the heartbeat about how your stomach feels, they wrote on my notes "abdo soft" as well so I'm sure it helps them some how as well smile.

Also my cousin just had a little boy, she didn't seem to have any form of "bump" at all and then at 28 weeks it was as if she inflated over night! The nhs book I got also says that with your first baby you show much later, although I'm sure us first time mummy's with a tendency to worry would like to see some progress in the stomach growing department (I know I would!) grin.

HTH, and try not to worry too much, as already said by others every pregnancy is different thanks

LadySnapcase Sun 21-Jul-13 09:53:40

I had gained a grand total of 2lb at my 16 week mark, and all of that was gained after the 14 week point as I'd had terrible nausea until then. Am now 34 weeks and have gained 30lb! It's stressful being told you don't look how you 'should' but everyone's different. Try to enjoy it while it lasts, my hips and knees are in shock at heaving about all the extra now!

GiveMeVegemite Sun 21-Jul-13 10:09:17

With my first I had out on loads by 16 weeks, but with my second I had out in nothing and was worried too, but everything is fine. I think it just depends. I am now 29 weeks and have started piling it on! smile

GiveMeVegemite Sun 21-Jul-13 10:09:34

*put on

Mayanbob Sun 21-Jul-13 10:23:37

If doc is happy i'd try not to worry. I lost weight at first (1/2 a stone) in first trimester, and was bumpless and still in normal clothes up to 20 weeks, although i'd made it back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Then I put on about half a stone in 2 weeks and got a bump. I am now 35+4 and about 2 stone heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight and had a growth scan (due to unrelated to weight umbilical cord issue) a couple of weeks ago where baby was already measuring 6lb! shock. Other people particularly SILs can be a right royal pain in the arse with their opinions. Especially when it's your first and you haven't got any experience of your own to go on.

Plus everyone is different. I have a friend who is a couple of weeks behind me and she is still tiny- well defined bump- but tiny... but baby is measuring fine! (she has extra scans due to PCOS and uterus issues).

Enjoy your smaller size while you can, and try not to put too much importance on what other people tell you you 'should' be like xxxsmile

Tulipsandbuttercups Sun 21-Jul-13 10:51:15

I am now 17 weeks and have put on 4lbs since I found out I was pregnant. I think your body has just changed shape around your waist which it should.

I don't think you have anything to worry about

X

Gerty1002 Sun 21-Jul-13 11:19:55

I had sickness and by 16 weeks I'd lost half a stone - midwife assured me that as I was within normal BMI range before, in fact at the higher end if the scale, that all would be fine as long as I could keep down fluids so i wouldn't get dehydrated.

Even when my sickness stopped (16w) I still didn't have much of an appetite, but made sure I ate healthy food, and at 34+2 I've gained 1.5 stone. Midwife recommendation was between 1.5 and 2.5 so I think myself lucky I don't have a mountain to lose after baby arrives. I don't look pregnant from behind but have a pretty impressive bump that is measuring spot on for dates.

As others have said speak to midwife as she'll know what is healthy for you but unless you were underweight before I wouldn't worry about it, there's plenty of time yet for weight gain! And as for other people's comments about their weight gain, perhaps they are a little tinged with jealousy...

SadPander Sun 21-Jul-13 12:13:00

Hi Pod, 18 weeks and I've put on 2lbs (although lost 7lbs in first few weeks so actually down 5) - eating loads of whatever I want and literally don't know what I would need to eat to put on weight as the scales just aren't going up!

enjolraslove Sun 21-Jul-13 12:26:40

Really don't worry. I'm 32 weeks and so far have lost a couple of kilos overall but huge bump and baby measuring big on a recent scan so honestly I think most things are normal!

LittlePeaPod Sun 21-Jul-13 16:55:40

Than you ladies.. I was doing alright till everyone or seems like everyone started telling me that I didn't look any difference and hardly had a bump even though I can tell and jeans etc don't fit, how much weight they haut on. I get anxicious anyway as had a mc in February so can worry about things.

Thank you for all your responses. It really helps reading that others went through the same..

fanjodisfunction Sun 21-Jul-13 17:08:04

Ignore them all OP, people are either telling you your small or telling you your huge and are you sure your not carrying twins!

Have a chat with your mw, and I'm sure you'll feel better about it.

justabigdisco Sun 21-Jul-13 17:11:52

I weighed the same at 20 weeks as I did before pregnancy, I guess I must've lost weight in the early weeks due to sickness. My baby is currently tearing round, a healthy 19mo! Don't worry! grin

RatherUninspired Sun 21-Jul-13 18:07:25

I am almost 38 weeks and have gained 2 stone. I was aiming for 2 stone overall throughout the pregnancy so thats not too bad but I do hope I don't put on much more weight. I want to be able to get back into my shape asap after the birth

NomDeClavier Sun 21-Jul-13 18:09:02

I also put on no weight until around 6 months with DS and had no bump.

This time I'm 18weeks or so (I can never remember) and no real bump, just look a bit bloated, but put on a couple of kilos.

So it really, really varies! I exercised last time (lots!) and this time have been too tired to do anything but the weight hasn't gone where I'd expect - my thighs, for example!

nenevomito Sun 21-Jul-13 18:13:36

I lost weight in the first trimester when I was PG as I got hyperemesis both bloody times. As it eased off, I gained weight as I should.

Monka Sun 21-Jul-13 18:20:21

Everybody is different I think I started putting weight on around 20 weeks and only started using maternity clothes then. i am now 38 weeks and have only put on 1 and a half stone. Majority of my weight gain is obviously baby but have put a little bit on my thighs and bottom. I am now experiencing a sudden rush of energy (nesting) and am still fairly active which helps.

Gatorade Sun 21-Jul-13 18:21:06

I wouldn't worry too much OP. I am currently 33 weeks with DC2, only weigh 4lbs more than I did before pregnancy (lost about 4lbs in first trimester due to sickness) and have a small bump measuring 28 weeks. I was a healthy weight to start with and I have gestational diabetes so I am regularly weighed at a diabetes clinic and the midwives and consultants are not at all concerned about my lack of gain.

As for the babies growth....DC2 was measured to be almost on the 90th centile at my growth scan last week so it hasn't done the baby any harm!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and remember every pregnancy is different, don't let others comments get to you.

LouiseD29 Mon 22-Jul-13 00:36:29

Don't worry OP. As long as dr isn't concerned you sound normal! I only put on 2lbs in the first trimester but have more than made up for it now at 37 weeks. blush

littlemonkey2013 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:27:42

im nearly 23 weeks and i have only put on 2 kilos, even those have only been in the last 3 weeks, and i didnt have sickness to lose weight in 1st trimester. my OB had said if i didnt put on any weight until 25 weeks then that is fine. My BMI is 19 so im not overweight either.

i think you shouldnt worry, and i think the general obsession about putting on weight is that other people delight in others putting on weight and therefore suggest you should put on more. eat normal and healthy and enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now