Talk

Advanced search

Found out this morning I am having Twins .... ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

(25 Posts)
Danilou22 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:53:49

So, I went for a scan this week to date my pregnancy as I got pregnant on a very very long cycle (ov's on day 68). I knew I was about 10 weeks which is what is appears I am.

The biggest shock is that I am carrying non identical twins!!! I have a 2 year old already.

I am in such shock, has anyone else been in this position? I want to know what to expect as I know there are higher risks with twins and I also have a high BMI which is worrying me. I am just so shocked!

Would love to hear from anyone else in this position x

DramaAlpaca Mon 15-Jul-13 13:54:50

Not been in this position, but just wanted to say congratulations & send you some flowers.

Danilou22 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:57:41

Thank you!

I am still in shock! I did have a mild panic attack on the ultrasound table!

FreeButtonBee Mon 15-Jul-13 14:00:15

Congratulations! It's fucking hard work but mine are now 5 months and I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. They are even currently napping! At the same time! In their cots! Lots of advice on the multiple birth topic.

And there is nothing like the sound of your two little babies giggling and laughing in your arms.

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 15-Jul-13 14:06:21

Congratulations! Mine are 11 months (also have almost-5yo)... It's brilliant!

You've got the lowest risk variety, so that's good! Hopefully despite BMI you'll have a lovely, normal pregnancy. It's tiring, and is lost sight of my toes well before 30 weeks, but the pregnancy was nowhere near as difficult as I expected - its was actually rather enjoyable once I stopped chucking up! Feeling two babies move inside you is quite an experience wink all was normal for us up to 34 weeks, then developed high BP and liver started playing up (but not pre-eclampsia, it transpires). Had an induction at 35+5, came home with 2 babies 48 hours later... Magic!
Don't be surprised if your first trip to the "high risk" clinic is a bit daunting- you'll hear a lot about what can happen, but most twin pregnancies are straightforward. Lots of extra scan and routine appointments, but other than that, nothing really different to first time around if all stays normal smile I'm sure you're well aware that risks of preeclampsia/high BP/delivery complications are a higher, but the likelihood is all will be well - and you get two babies out of the deal! That probably won't sink in for a while, didn't really for us until we took them home! Honestly, it's been the best year of my life so far. It's busy, but it's twice the fun of a singleton. Good luck!

Danilou22 Mon 15-Jul-13 14:13:39

Thank you for your comments they have made me smile.

I had a perfectly normal pregnancy with my son without any complications so I have my fingers crossed that I will manage with a twin pregnancy too!

Can I ask if you breast fed? I was really really lucky and successfully breast fed my son for 6 months. I have been worried about being able to feed again because of having a 2 year old to look after too but am not sure it is even worth thinking about with twins and a 2 year old!!

BellaVida Mon 15-Jul-13 14:16:42

Yes, I was in exactly the same situation. Had a 2 yr old when I found out I was having non-identical twins. It is a huge shock, but you will be fine.
When I had the twins I was automatically considered high risk, so had much more regular monthly hospital checks and scans.
During the pregnancy I didn't have any added complications except a bit of iron deficiency. The main issue was the size of my bump! At 5 months I was full term size.
The twins were premature, which is a high possibility, but were only kept in a couple of weeks. The was the hardest part of all.
Just take each day as it comes. TAMBA is a good resource.

BellaVida Mon 15-Jul-13 14:18:39

Just seen your other post. Yes I BF'd the twins, but never managed the simultaneous feeding thing! It was hard at the very beginning as they were small sleepy preemies, but got easier.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 15-Jul-13 14:21:22

Congratulations!!
My best friend has twins, her older daughter was 17 months when they were born.

Hard work at first but absolutely gorgeous!

FreeButtonBee Mon 15-Jul-13 14:29:52

Yes, I am EBF, after a bit of a rocky start with doublem tongue ties. DTS had a far bit of formula for the first week then we managed to get it down to one bottle then dropped that. I tandem feed a lot and can recommend the my Brest friend twin feeding pillow. Although I am looking forward to a ceremonial burning of the thing when they are a bit bigger! Was attached to it permanently for the first 3 months.

Avondale Mon 15-Jul-13 14:30:35

Congratulation! I've been there and didn't sink in for about 3 months! Imagine what it was like in days gone by and you got no idea it was two until the day they were born! Yes, it's hard work but still easier than first time round. Accept help from all quarters including making use of dummies, bottles, play mats, baby chairs, cot mobiles etc. I found you needed lots of places to 'put' one twin while you're dealing with the other. Oh and if you can try and find some child care for your older one at least part of the time, it will be a life saver. Good luck

Franykins Mon 15-Jul-13 15:45:41

This was me 8 weeks ago! Total shock. Its my first pregnancy but DP has two boys already who live with us week on week off.

They could still be identical by the way (something I didn't know until I posted on here after my scan - all depends on when the egg split as to how many placentas etc.)

I also have hi BMI (was 31 at booking in app) and have seen the consultant once at 16 weeks. All he did was check babies, ask a few questions and prescribe me iron tablets. Don't have to see him again until 24 weeks.

I am now 20+3 and have put on a stone which my midwife was happy with, however I do look near to full term!

I have sailed through so far, only been sick 5 times, sore boobs calmed down and now even my tiredness has lessened (for the time being!) so its not necessarily going to be total hard work during pregnancy, although I am expecting it to get hard towards the end.

Congratulations flowers

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 15-Jul-13 19:16:54

Yup, still breastfeeding. One baby had 2x15ml top ups on his first night as dropping sugars, other than that they're both EBF. One thing that helped us was expressing from the time we decided on induction so the was already a stash of colostrum in the NNU freezer. Worth considering given that prematurity and low birth weight are big reasons for formula to be recommended (my two were 6lb3 and 5lb at 35 weeks though!)

Danilou22 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:27:21

Thank you all for your comments. They are making me feel better.

I have recovered a little from the shock today and I am looking forward to my next scan in 2 weeks. They were pretty sure yesterday that they are not identical and that it is 2 separate eggs that have been fertilised which would make sense as I became pregnant on a really long cycle so I think I must have released 2 eggs instead of 1.

thank you again x

flossieflower Tue 16-Jul-13 14:39:30

'They' can't say whether or not they are identical at this stage- two thirds of twins are non identical, one third are identical. Of the identical ones a third have separate placentas and sacs so yes, statistically it is more likely that twins with separate placentas are non identical but not certain by any means.

I say this as a mother of twins who had separate placentas and who spent my whole pregnancy with people saying 'they are non identical because they have separate placentas' who had to pay for the DNA test later to discover that yes, they are identical!! I personally know five sets of separate placenta identical twins so this bit of misinformation is a particular bug bear of mine!

Having a long cycle would have no impact on whether or not they are identical as even if two eggs are released they will both be within 24 hours. You wouldn't have released another eggs days later even on a long cycle.

Good luck with your twins- it's hard work but fantastic!

Danilou22 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:53:41

Thanks for your reply, and for giving me the information.

I thought that to be identical they had to be from the same egg splitting? I just assume I released 2 eggs at the same time (not days later) and they would have been fertilised by 2 different sperm.

To be honest as long as they are healthy and happy I do not mind if they are identical or not. smile

DoingTheSwanThing Tue 16-Jul-13 20:05:35

It depends at what point the embryo splits - up to day 4(ish) gives 2 placentas and 2 sacs (12% I think), few days later gives 1 placenta, 2 sacs. After that gives 1/1 - monochorionic mono amniotic twins (about 1% of IDs iirc) - highest risk variety. Spilling after day 14 gives conjoined twins.

DoingTheSwanThing Tue 16-Jul-13 20:11:15

(So if they split v early, scan looks the same as non-ID twins - not actually that rare, but still lots of people being misinformed).
Actually my 12% was wrong- that's the rough figure of the twins who di/di (2 sacs, 2 placentas) that are genetically identical.

Most likely that yours are non-id - so you're right, 2 eggs released and happened to bump into 2 sperm smile

HappyAsASandboy Tue 16-Jul-13 20:14:01

DoingTheSwanThing is right - two placenta and two sacs can be either identical (one egg sitting early) or fraternal (two eggs).

Good luck smile It is an absolute rollercoaster, but wonderful!

I breastfed both of mine until they self weaned - DS at about 2 years 6 months, and DD just the other day at 2 years 9 months, unless she comes back for more! DD has informed me my boobs are broken now, so I guess she's not getting any milk when she suckles (though I can still hand express very easily).

Good luck with your babies smile

Schumann Tue 16-Jul-13 20:22:13

Congratulations. I'm currently 13 weeks with twins. We found out at 6 weeks that it was possibly twins (sonographer couldn't rule out at that early stage that the second one might be a blood clot) and then at 8 weeks that yep there's definitely 2 in there.
Huge shock (we already have a DS and DD) and can't see when we'll be over it - maybe when they've all left home grin

Danilou22 Wed 17-Jul-13 11:42:35

Lol - Congratulations to you too Schumann. I wish you luck with your pregnancy.

Thank you for the info DoingTheSwanThing and HappyAsASandboy

I am getting more used to the idea now and looking forward to my next scan in 2 weeks .

Franykins Fri 19-Jul-13 12:44:03

I have my 20 weeks scan (although I am now 21 weeks) in less than 2 hours.

I can't wait to see our babies again smile but am also nervous that everything is ok. I am sure it will be as had a scan at 17 weeks, but still. They have extra wriggle yesterday today so I hope that's them reassuring me they are doing well.

Danilou22 Sat 20-Jul-13 09:34:31

I hope your scan goes well.

I have another one in just over a week and I am looking forward to having a good look at them this time as I was so shocked last time I couldn't really take it all in!

How often do they scan you with twins?

neversleepagain Sat 20-Jul-13 09:41:13

Congratulations Danilou smile

My non ID girls are almost 10 months old, it has been a crazy 10 months but I have loved almost every moment.

With DCDA twins you should be scanned every 4 weeks from 20 weeks.

I was scanned at 12, 13 (NT scan), 20, 24, 28, 32, 34 (my girls were born at 34+5 by EMCS).

Twins are scanned every two weeks from 32 weeks at my hospital. It is lovely having lots of scans, you get a lot of attention during your pregnancy. I had fantastic ante natal care.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Danilou22 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:55:54

Thanks for the reply. That is good to know xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now