Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Magnesium supplements for restless legs?

(4 Posts)
badguider Mon 08-Jul-13 17:35:00

I'm having fidgety legs problems, I know that this is caused by poor circulation in pregnancy due to relaxed blood vessels... I can sort of alleviate it by getting up in the night and walking about a lot but I'd rather be getting some sleep!

I have read in many places that magnesium supplements can help this but the ones I tried to buy in sainsburys were magnesium and B6 and say to consult your doctor before taking if you are or may be pregnant. Does anybody know if this is just standard on all supplements or whether there are any risks or contraindications for magnesium or B6 in pregnancy? I don't see my MW again for 2.5 weeks so would rather not wait that long...

AnythingNotEverything Mon 08-Jul-13 18:50:16

Ooh - apparently magnesium helps with leg cramps too.

Watching with interest!

wispa31 Tue 09-Jul-13 00:08:51

YES to magnesium!! just dont by the stuff in supermarkets. make sure its magnesium citrate not magnesium oxide. holland and barretts do mag citrate tablets, 100mg per tab. best thing ive found though is powder form mag citrate ( i take mag as part of a supp regime even when not pg) which you can get on myprotein.com, a teaspoon or 2 in water 20 mins before bed. keeps the cramps/fidgety legs at bay and helps with sleep too!
and yes doc confirmed its perfectly safe to use in pg.

bunchofposy Tue 09-Jul-13 11:13:35

A doctor friend of mine had this in her pregnancy, and cramps, and said that eating a banana before bed helped. I've tried this as I occasionally get this too, and I think it might have helped (though I am usually too tired to remember when I have eaten the banana vs when I had restless legs!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now