Talk

Advanced search

discrimination or just me being over sensetive :/

(13 Posts)
terilou87 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:37:37

well i have only just returned from maternity leave on the 22nd of may and so far iv needed 3 occasions of sickness (im 13 week pg btw) the first one was my voice went and i had to go home(i work on phones) so no choice really the second was i started bleeding and midwife said bed rest till i could get my scan the next day, everything was o.k so i went strait into work, the next was morning sickness, i was that ill i couldn't get out of bed or keep anything down. after this occasion my team leader said if i have any more occasions off work for pregnancy related illnesses they will look to stop my pay
( we are contracted usually so we will get paid 60 days full pay on sick within a 12 month rolling period) i feel this is unfair as they are saying if it isn't pregnancy related i will get paid, anyway i have woke up this morning with really bad pelvis pains and can hardly walk(i'm guessing p.g.p as i had this in my last pregnancy) so i called my t/l to let her know i'm not coming in and she said she was "concerned" about the amount of time iv had off. i found this sarcastic and told her its not like i'm having time off for nothing. but she has really got my back up and i'm unsure weather to ring h.r or not any advice would be great.

CuppaSarah Mon 08-Jul-13 09:42:17

Ring HR defiantly! Tell them how you feel, the law is very good at protecting women while pregnant. Time off for pregnancy related illness cannot be held against you in anyway, you cannot be disciplined for them. I don't know about the sick pay thing, but HR will clear it up for you

Your managers attitude is completely disgusting!

Babybump26 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:47:14

With my old company if we were monitoring an employees sickness levels, which were pending disciplinary action, we were not allowed to touch them once they told us they were pregnant and their absences were pregnancy related.

I would also ring your HR department. I understand the frustrations of an employer when people are off ill but I also understand your side of it. They should be supporting you, not adding extra stress on you. Hope you get it sorted

Runswithsquirrels Mon 08-Jul-13 10:10:00

Pregnancy related sick days don't count against you as regular sick days ( providing you have notified your employer you are pregnant you are protected).

LemonPeculiarJones Mon 08-Jul-13 10:35:33

Get onto HR.

Also check out some employment law websites - find a helpline to ring and ask a few questions.

Discrimination, definitely.

CheeseFondueRocks Mon 08-Jul-13 11:20:17

Yes, it's discrimination and illegal. Pregnancy related sickness does not count towards your sickness record.

toffeem Mon 08-Jul-13 18:36:30

If you would get paid for non-pregnancy illnesses then they cannot stop your pregnancy illnesses being paid - definately discrimination.

Gerty1002 Mon 08-Jul-13 19:13:10

I agree with all of those above BUT be aware your pregnancy rights only kick in once you've informed work in writing that you are pregnant, so if you haven't done that do it ASAP, then chat to HR.

mejypoo Mon 08-Jul-13 21:45:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

syl1985 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:25:49

If you're ill and you can't work, you can't work. It's as simple as that!
I don't know about the rules, but...
There's no reason in the world for your boss or any colleague to be rude to you. Unless doctor confirms that you're faking it.
Ill is ill, we all can have a period in our lives that we're often very ill. It happens.

If you can't work because the sickness is pregnancy related. There's absolutely NO REASON IN THE WORLD to be rude to you!!!!!!!!!!
It's horrible and I'm not sure but I don't think they can stop paying you, because the illness is pregnancy related.

You don't need that stress at this moment. It's not good for you or for your baby. I'd talk to my midwife about it and ask her for advice on what to do.

Do you really like your job?
If not, I'd have a chat with the midwife and tell her this stress is so not what you need. It's only making you feel worse and you're really feeling uncomfortable when you're working.

Maybe there's something possible that you don't need to work anymore and that you're sick from now until your maternity leave starts at 29 weeks.
Then have your maternity leave.

You'll probably need to find new work after that, but you've got time enough to have a look for a new job.

But only do that if you really don't like to job anymore. Or really feel terrible every time you go to your job.

Take care,
Sylvia

wispa31 Mon 08-Jul-13 23:43:12

your managers a cunt. preg related sickness cant be treated the same way as normal sick absences, meaning you cant be disciplined for it and nor should it mean no pay. if you havent already, get hr notified in writing that you are pg, then get onto them about your manager. as pp has said, you cant be getting stressed out, not good for you or baby. hope you get sorted. end of day you and your babys health comes first. dont take any shit!

terilou87 Tue 09-Jul-13 09:55:18

thanks everyone, i called h.r and sorted everything out, my t.l is going to be spoken to about what she said. and my doctor signed me off for a week so i don't need to worry about it any more. @syl85 i love my job but since iv come back from maternity i went on days shift, so i have a new team leader who has had a power trip since she become a t.l, i think that is the problem. i have put a shift change in so i can go back to my old team leader she is much better. thanks for the advice everyone xx

wispa31 Tue 09-Jul-13 11:04:02

what is it with female bosses being total power hungry bitches?? she sounds like she needs a good kick in the fanjo and if she has children herself she should be more sympathetic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now