Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon can you do a pregnancy test? And how reliable?

(16 Posts)
Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:50:43

...been a little while since I did a preg test,, but keen to know for various reasons..and just wandering how soon I can test and how reliable they are these days?

Thanks

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:07:38

Anyone, I don't want to waste money buying a test if its unreliable.

MolotovCocktail Tue 02-Jul-13 22:10:51

If you have regular periods, it's best to wait until you're 5 days past the day your period is due.

Pregnancy tests are very reliable; the longer you leave to test, the better as you can test too early and get a false negative. Certainly a good idea not to test before AF is due.

Good luck x

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:17:54

THank you, I am now 2 days late, so will try to wait until Friday, do you think that sounds ok?

Thisisfreakingmeout Tue 02-Jul-13 22:19:45

I got a strong positive the day before due date but I understand this was lucky. They give stats on the back
If the pack about their accuracy. Most say 99% on the day of your missed period, who knows ?

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:20:14

If I wait until then, it will be 3 weeks since we dtd? Does that sound ok?

The main reason I'm so keen to known is because I'm going on a hen night on sat and am nervous the girls will notice if I don't drink, so I want to be sure its ok to have a few- what would you all do?
I'm getting myself in a right pickle.

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:43:39

A First Response early test should show up positive by now if you are pregnant, personally I've always been fine with poundland tests even a day or two before missed period so maybe buy a cheap test and see what it says. Best ones I've used are a pink dye test from Home Bargains which was 99p for 2 tests smile

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:44:32

Meant to say, that was positive 4 days before period due this pregnancy, 5 days before due last pregnancy.

MolotovCocktail Wed 03-Jul-13 11:28:40

I've always done £1 Shop pg tests too, but have waited until I was 5 days late because I've had many, many negatives and thy start to hurt after a little while.

OP, if I were you, I'd test on Friday. You should have an accurate result by then, and you'll know whether you can let go or give the old 'I'm on antibiotics/I feel a bit iffy today' cherry wink

maja00 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:30:02

Most are very accurate if you test on the day your period is due.

Spookey80 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:55:42

Thankyou Molotov for youre advice, that is my plan exactly.

Spookey80 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:00:00

Actually I'm a fibber, I tested yesterday and it was positive!
Aaahh, very early though.
Gonna have to work on my poker face as I'm a crap liar!

Writerwannabe83 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:02:55

Congratulations!!!!!

MolotovCocktail Sun 07-Jul-13 08:09:26

Congratulations, Spookey grin

Crawfordburrows Wed 01-Mar-17 15:03:15

Hi I'm 2 wks late and done 2 Poundland tests came back negative
Could this be wrong what shall I do now x

WantingBaby1 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:10:36

Did you test with first morning urine? Could make the difference. Sounds unlikely to be positive if you're sure you're 2 weeks late. But could be a faulty batch of tests. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now