Talk

Advanced search

Anything I can do to increase platelets?

(7 Posts)
MightBeMad Mon 01-Jul-13 20:40:31

Hi all, went to my 36week midwife appointment today and she told me that
my platelet levels are a bit low (just below the low end of the normal range). While I don't think this is likely to cause too many problems (I hope!), I wonder if there's anything I can do to increase them? Anyone have any experience? Thanks!

effyzm Mon 01-Jul-13 21:02:52

I've had this issue since 9 weeks. I'm now 37+4. Pretty sure there's nothing you can do. As long as your levels stay ok it shouldn't affect you much. As you're most of the way through. Might mean that you have to stay a bit longer after birth so they can keep an eye on bleeding.

Jollyb Mon 01-Jul-13 22:27:25

No - nothing you can do!

MightBeMad Tue 02-Jul-13 03:37:42

Thanks both. I thought that was probably the case but no harm in asking! Effy, I hope all goes okay for you and your levels are behaving!

mamachelle Tue 02-Jul-13 08:32:33

hey, i have thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) all the time as does my mum, sister and 3dds (gift from my mum lol)

normally my count never rises above 80, during pregnancy they hover around 60.

the plan of action for all my pregnancies have been a short course of steroids from 38 weeks which raise my platelets to around 100 for the birth.

I only have steroids as they cant administer certain pain relief if below 80 and i like to keep my options open in case of emergency.

i also have the injection to help deliver the placenta and baby gets vit k jab to reduce any potential bleeding issues.

i have had 3 natural, healthy deliveries even with low platelets so hope that reassures you.

i have found that the platelet count does rise slightly in the few weeks before wk 38 so hopefully yours will too.

hope some of this message makes sense am trying to chase 3dcs to get ready for school and type . . pregnant brain doesnt allow me to multi task any more!

MightBeMad Tue 02-Jul-13 08:37:44

Mamachelle - thank you, that's really helpful. I hope the rest of your pg and is delivery go smoothly too.

FairyTrain Tue 02-Jul-13 10:17:14

Had v low platelets in both previous pg, drank beet root juice (from health food shop) to try & increase, didn't do much use but made me feel i was doing something! MW got in a flap with low platelets and said I wouldn't be able to give birth in MW led unit (I did). Just make sure you get the injection to deliver placenta etc and know the risks (potentially bad bleeding)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now