Talk

Advanced search

Newborn Baby Clothes

(21 Posts)
PhieEl06 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:16:45

I have been sorting through & washing baby clothes today & have come to realise that although I have plenty of 0-3 month items I have barely any newborn/up to one month things, to be precise 9 babygrows in up to 10lbs which is newborn & 13 vests same size. The 0-3 month things look like they will swamp her when she's here even if she's big on their labels they say up to 14/16lbs. Do you think I need to buy some more newborn items?
Sorry this is a stupid question, as you can probably tell I'm a first timer.

Feelslikea1sttimer Thu 27-Jun-13 15:20:31

Personally, I wouldn't buy many more at this stage, my 1st was 9lb 4oz and went straight into 0-3 clothes (Sorry not trying to scare you there!) and with the 24 hour supermarkets and next day delivery, you could always order more newborn if they are required.

I will be buying a few newborn items, just in case, but won't be going mad.

MyNameIsSuz Thu 27-Jun-13 15:21:17

I'd get a few more newborn things but keep them in their packets, then you can exchange them for a bigger size if you don't get to use them. Some babies do go straight into 0-3, or within a week or two. Mine was smaller than I thought and most of the things I'd bought didn't fit for months! As long as you've got a few bits washed, and 9 babygros should be plenty for a few days, you should be fine to keep a couple of unopened packets which you can decide about once the baby is here. And you can always send someone out to tesco on a mission for more teeny ones if need be, my mum stopped to buy some more small things on the way to visit us in the hospital.

noblegiraffe Thu 27-Jun-13 15:22:37

9 babygros and 13 vests is probably plenty unless you have a majorly sicky/pooey baby and no facilities to do a quick turnaround on washing. If not, the shops will still be open after baby is born wink

IceNoSlice Thu 27-Jun-13 15:23:20

Exactly what MyNameIsSuz said.

PhieEl06 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:32:20

Thank you for your replies, feeling a little OCD about it all! I'm measuring big so far for dates, 93rd centile so under the impression I'm going to have a large baby but worried I'm planning for this & if she's smaller she'll have no clothes.

Bejeena Thu 27-Jun-13 15:41:09

Oh dear I think I only have 9 babygrows altogether and hadn't planned on buying any more unless I needed them after baby comes.

Surely they'd only go through a few a day and you can wash/dash to shops if you need more?

I really am wondering if I have got too little of everything now!

adagio Thu 27-Jun-13 15:44:57

My DD spent the first couple of weeks basically in 3 babygro's and 5 vests - I had bought one pack of extra small vests (up to 7.5LB I think) in Boots and a three pack of Primark Gro's. She was 6Lb12oz and then lost weight for a week before gradually coming back up. When the ones that fitted were in the wash she wore the next size up, and as soon as they were dry she was back in the little ones.

The numbers you have got sound plenty in other words, as long as you don't mind sticking a wash on quite often (you will be doing loads of washing anyway what with leaky boobs, dribbly milk muslins, desire for clean towels etc)

Agree with previous poster that buying some and keeping in the packaging might be an idea if you are worried. I obsessively washed everything in late pregnancy so missed the 'leaving in packets to return' step :-)

Lydia161290 Thu 27-Jun-13 16:01:18

I got a packet of 4 newborn babygrows for when baby is first born just in case the 0-3 stuff won't fit him. The rest I have are 0-3.
Due to the fact that DP and I are tall, it was the reason why I only brought one packet. I can always wash them until he grows. I wouldn't worry about it.

NatashaBee Thu 27-Jun-13 16:07:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knittingirl Thu 27-Jun-13 16:28:57

I only have 0-3 month stuff, about 9/10 babygrows and 14/15 vests. If the baby is smaller dh will be sent to tescos to buy newborn smile Given that the shops are open at all hours, I don't think it's something to stress about.

FoofFighter Thu 27-Jun-13 16:47:36

I've not bothered with newborn stuff, just 0-3mths. With my first two dc there was only 0-3 and no newborn sizes (obv there were prem ones though) I think it's just a marketing gimmick personally, getting you to spend a bit more.

If it's a little big does it matter? not as if the baby will be tripping over dangly feet ;)

PoppyAmex Thu 27-Jun-13 16:52:06

I had lots of lovely newborn Zara stuff, all very white and pristine...

Then DD came along at 12lbs 12oz and there was a mad rush for bigger sizes.

NatashaBee Thu 27-Jun-13 17:15:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TangfasticMrFoxalastic Thu 27-Jun-13 19:17:08

It's hard to judge the weather too, ds was born in a very warm winter, spending most of his days in just a nappy!

PoppyAmex Thu 27-Jun-13 19:39:18

Pay no attention to me, Natasha.

DH just pointed out that I clearly can't use imperial measurements correctly; DD was 10lbs 7oz. <continental emoticon>

PoppyAmex Thu 27-Jun-13 19:39:48

She was big, but not that big grin

mikkii Thu 27-Jun-13 19:48:25

DS was 7lb 8z, I planned for him to wear 0-3 months but it was a joke, I did have newborn. Even DD1 who was 8lb 11oz wore newborn.

DD2 caught us out, she was only 5lb 13oz (although only a week and a half earlier than DD1) and we had to rush out to buy early baby. (DH had already rushed out to buy emergency newborn size as we thought she was coming and the baby clothes weren't washed out of the loft yet hence DD2 wore lots of blue in the beginning, including decorated with bugs hmm daddy liked them!)

TarkaTheOtter Thu 27-Jun-13 20:29:15

DD was 7lbs and even newborn was too big for a bit.

heidihole Thu 27-Jun-13 21:46:11

I think 10 babygros in NB sounds plenty especially if you're measuring 93rd percentile.

I measured big too and DS was 10lb 6oz (natural gas and air birth albeit with stitches so don't worry!) and he was straight Into 0-3. They still had 'growing room' but he couldn't walk (!) so didn't exactly trip up!!

BoysRule Thu 27-Jun-13 21:53:36

My DS2 was 8lb 3oz and I only had 0-3 months as my DS1 was bigger and I just assumed he wouldn't need newborn. The 0-3 months drowned him (remember lots of babies lose a bit of weight in the first week or so) so my Mum went to Tesco and bought a packet of newborn babygros when he was born. I would say that 9 is enough though, you will find you do a lot of washing anyway (sheets, muslins, bibs, vests, your own clothes from sick!) and it may only be a few weeks before DC is in 0-3 months.

Personally, I found it hard to see a lot of wastage with clothes (heartbreaking to pack up clothes they have grown out of but haven't even worn!) You get so many gifts too. Definitely under buy and if needed the supermarkets will be your only outing for a while anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now