Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

was 2nd labour just as long

(12 Posts)
bubbly1973 Wed 31-May-06 09:25:22

im worried that i wont get to hospital in time, by the time i drop ds off as grandparents, and get to half an hour car journey to hospital im scared it will be too late.

i guess its playing on my mind because of friend of a friend had her baby within half hour of waters breaking, so ended up having baby in the house

everyone i speak to say there labour was only a few hours, whereas there first was about 10hours or more.

with ds i was 10hours,....how long were you ladies with your first, and then with your 2nd?

i know theres a thread done earlier, but that was asking if 2nd labour is as quick, so not many put comments in if they were long...so i need some stories that labour can be as long as the first please

schneebly Wed 31-May-06 09:29:04

DS1 - 12 hours
DS2 - 5 hours

hamster Wed 31-May-06 09:30:55

Hi bubbly, I'm afraid I'm one of those whose 2nd labour was really short...I woke at 3.30am, and ds2 was born an hour and a half later. I'd been at the hospital for 2 minutes(literally) and he was born.
I suppose it depends on the length of time between babies too. Mine was only a year.
My first labour was just under 12 hours, but having an epidural didn't help the process.
Some of my friends have had labours just as long as their first though.
It depends, every labour is different
Good luck, you'll be fine I'm sure

Esmummy Wed 31-May-06 09:37:36

I'll be watching this too bubbly although I still have a way to go yet.
Labour with DD was 28 hours and horrific so part of me is worrying that this time I will be trying to sit it out as long as possible at home and then it will just happen and we will be stuck but the other part of me things i wont be that lucky and will be in for another 28 hour job.
DD will be 2.4 when this one will be born so not sure it will happen overly quick as the gap will be quite big.

When are you due ?

mazs81 Wed 31-May-06 10:11:37

my first was 8 hours,
my second an hour at the most, dd born 5 mins exactly after waters breaking!

kittylette Wed 31-May-06 10:14:17

my first was 6 hours,

my second is due in 12 days... so ill let you know!

MerlinsBeard Wed 31-May-06 10:19:45

DS1 3 hours
DS2 1 hour

start to finish

bubbly1973 Wed 31-May-06 10:23:07

esmummy, im due next thursday, 8th june. when are you due?

kittylette, your due in june too, you should come and join us on the june antenatal thread

sooo seems like everyones so very different, lets just hope i act quickly the moment i get pains, id rather be sent away than not go at all and have baby in house.....theres a gap of 4 years between ds and this one.

northstar Wed 31-May-06 10:28:00

Hi bubbly, sorry but mine was the same, ds 10 hours, then dd just a few short hours.
You should be glad though, labour isn't something i would wish to extend!!!

bubbly1973 Wed 31-May-06 10:31:27

okay, looks like everyones having shorter labour 2nd time around...when did you decide to go into hospital....did you have aches and pains the day before to forewarn you that labour was on its way?

northstar Wed 31-May-06 10:36:21

I did but like the first time round i didnt notice them until i was told i was on my way! I had gone in to be induced and when they came round to do it she just said oh, you are 3cms already
It really is easier, faster and much nicer 2nd time round.

FlameBoo Wed 31-May-06 10:36:58

From first contraction - longer.... #1 15 1/2 hrs, #2 25 1/2 hrs.

"Established labour" - Both about 6 hrs I think.

(I was a tad bitter - had always been told that second would be shorter!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: