Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

38 weeks - high BP - why?!

(7 Posts)
Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 19-Jun-13 15:33:06

Hi,

So I'm just over 38 weeks and at my last 2 MW appointments my BP has been high (139/92) (130/92) (130/88). My MW sent me for blood tests which are all clear, and my urine samples have been clear too. I've got no other symptoms. My MW came round this afternoon to check it again and it's still a bit high, she phoned the labour ward to discuss and I'm having my BP checked again on Friday but she isn't unduly concerned.

My question is, does anyone know why this would be high, and is there anything I can do to bring it down?! I've been resting, promise!

MsLadyLove Wed 19-Jun-13 16:32:20

Best people to talk to are medical ones you already are.

ghosteditor Wed 19-Jun-13 16:37:34

I had this all the way through pregnancy and ended up getting a diagnosis of Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. During labour my BP spiked dangerously high and treatment was required, and I ended up staying in post-birth for 6 days, mostly (I believe) due to the risk of pre-eclampsia.

All I ultimately required was a course of BP stabilisers for a few months. But the dangers of very high BP are real, beyond the obvious chance that it's a symptom of PE.

I'm the only person I've heard of with PIH so I don't know the chances for other issues iyswim. But good luck!

ghosteditor Wed 19-Jun-13 16:38:45

Oh and if you urinate and lie down on your left side for a bit your immediate reading will be lower, but it doesn't do anything to treat it in the long run.

MolotovCocktail Wed 19-Jun-13 16:40:35

I had increasingly high no from wk 37 with dd2. There was nothing wrong with me; my heart was just working hard pumping blood through dilated blood vessels as te pg progressed. And I'm naturally a worrier, and was nervous about my ELCS.

It was all fine smile Best of luck to you.

MolotovCocktail Wed 19-Jun-13 16:44:55

no = bp blush

MarilynMoanroe Wed 19-Jun-13 16:53:21

I had pregnancy induced hypertension with my last pregnancy. I think for most women it goes down post birth although that's when it was at its worse for me.

During all my high readings I never had protein detected, stomach pain or visual disturbances. I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks following the birth and was on medications for a year.

The only thing that gave me low readings was during breast feeds (apparently to do with the hormones that are released).

Make sure that you inform your midwife or labour ward of any new symptoms to be on the safe side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now