Talk

Advanced search

Flying when pregnant

(16 Posts)
trix1 Tue 30-May-06 11:26:53

Does anyone know when you check in - do you get asked how far gone in your pregnancy you are? I will be 29 weeks pregnant when I fly next week and have not got a letter from the doctor to say I am ok to fly - will i get asked or will I have to prove how far gone I am?

kid Tue 30-May-06 11:28:08

Do you have your pregnancy notes? I had these and was meant to keep them with me at all times, not that I did.

trix1 Tue 30-May-06 11:30:50

I do - but Im hoping that they let me fly without wanting to know how far I am gone. I think generally they wont let you fly after 26 weeks - I am hoping they dont ask!

Bramshott Tue 30-May-06 11:31:55

DO wear flight socks and keep mobile to guard against DVT

Anchovy Tue 30-May-06 11:36:22

I flew when 29 and 31 weeks - both BA. I was quite large looking as am not particularly tall, but not gigantic. Way out - no questions; way back - huge fuss as they thought I looked too far gone. I had a letter from the consultant confirming dates and that I was good to fly and they still were really shirty - kept saying I would need to be seen by their own doctor etc, etc. Took ages to convince them it was ok.

Are you surprised that the return flight was returning from the US and involved all US-based crew and support staff.

tessasmum Tue 30-May-06 11:37:30

I was never asked. Don't think they can see you over the desk!

tessasmum Tue 30-May-06 11:38:25

That was Easyjet though!

trix1 Tue 30-May-06 12:05:30

Thanks all - Ive got the flight socks ready too.

eidsvold Tue 30-May-06 12:29:08

I was around 32 weeks when flying - had my notes, and the docs letter and no one asked a thing.... it was just to Amsterdam - around a 40 minute flight to no big deal really.

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 12:48:16

I flew at 6 months and wasn't asked but it depends how far you are going and who with, some cut off at 28 weeks, some 32 , some 36. Also insurance could be an issue

kayzed Tue 30-May-06 13:26:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kayzed Tue 30-May-06 13:26:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

olivo Tue 30-May-06 13:27:18

I flew back from abu dhabi when i was 22 weeks and had to sign a form for Etihad even though i was still early on and had a note from my doctor to say i was fit to fly till 32 weeks - i think that was for insurance purposes. on the way out, BA hadnt asked for anything. really do think it depends on the airline.
dont forget lots of water too!

Pinchypants Tue 30-May-06 14:25:28

I flew to Oman at 25 weeks. No questions on the way out, but massive fuss on the way back (v stressful indeed), and the airline in question (Gulf Air) even admitted their usual cut-off date wasn't till 28 weeks!
Don't show up at the airport without checking with the airline, and checking with your travel insurance company that you are covered - I wasn't and had to arrange cover with a different insurer the day before my flight. The Post Office are cool up to 31 weeks as long as you haven't had any problems.
Do take your notes, and a letter from the doc to say you are OK to fly. Small hassle compared with any problems on the day. And yup, wear your flight socks.
And have a lovely time!
Pinchy xx

Imafairy Tue 30-May-06 16:41:29

Check with your airline, but I'm quite sure that at 29 weeks you'd need something saying that you were fit to fly. I'd get a letter either from your MW or doctor (it's usually free from the MW, but you have to pay at the doc)- I flew up to 34 weeks, and was never actually asked to show any paperwork, but felt much more comfortable knowing that I had it to hand should it be required.
Have a lovely trip.

kitegirl Tue 30-May-06 16:44:32

I was just recently asked how pg I was on BA (short haul). I said 27 wks but I look about 36 - they asked if I had a doctors' letter and I said no and that was it, no further questions. The BA check-in lady said that I would need one after 28 wks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: