Talk

Advanced search

Thrush in first trimester (possible TMI!)

(17 Posts)
eccentrica Sun 09-Jun-13 17:43:33

Hi all

I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant with my second child.

A couple of weeks ago I was prescribed antibiotics as my urine sample showed a urinary tract infection. I took these for a week and at the end of the week, realised I was getting a nasty case of thrush. I've never had it before but I was really itchy and uncomfortable, and (TMI alert) stupidly had sex with my partner and he subsequently got it too! I'm going on holiday soon so really wanted to clear it up before then.

I tried to get hold of my GP but as usual couldn't get through in the morning and couldn't get an appointment, so I did some online research (NHS choices, Babycentre etc.) all of which seemed to say that the pessary & cream are OK when you're pregnant, the only risk is doing mechanical injury if you use the applicator.

So I bought a pack (Canesten Combi) and used the pessary (without applicator) and cream. I told the pharmacist I was pregnant. On the packet it said to see your doctor first if you're pregnant but I used it anyway. Have also been using natural yoghurt, femfresh wash, and taking acidophilus tablets.

Now about 5 days later it has still not really cleared up so today I went to buy another tube of cream. The pharmacist (a different one) really freaked me out, he didn't want to sell it to me, saying that I shouldn't have been using it without seeing my doctor, and that it could be dangerous in first trimester. I've now noticed that the babycentre page says

" Speak to your doctor before using over-the-counter treatments. They're expensive, unlikely to work and may not be suitable for use during pregnancy."

I will try to see GP on Tuesday, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has used this treatment in the first trimester and had any problems as a result?

monikar Sun 09-Jun-13 17:54:04

I was prescribed Canesten cream by the gp for thrush at 11 weeks and he was perfectly happy for me to take it.

everythinghippie29 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:15:09

Had exactly the same at 6 weeks. I persisted with the cream and yoghurt and eventually it did clear up. I know your pain! Hope you feel better soon and enjoy your holiday. x

birdbrain21 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:19:46

I was prescribed canesten pessary and cream countless times during pg from my GP, but it never helped. Finally the gp did a swab to see if it was thrush instead of just assuming from symptoms and the swab came back as all clear which is why the canesten hadn't helped, but it must be fine or she wouldn't have kept on pescribing it...
congratulations btw smile

eccentrica Sun 09-Jun-13 18:49:07

Thanks all, that's really reassuring smile

I appreciate your replies. Will carry on with cream and see what dr says (if i can ever get an appointment!)

Kelly1814 Sun 09-Jun-13 19:59:20

I've been prescribed cream, oral tablet and pessaries due to such hideous galloping thrush. I actually got a bumper pack of 5 pessaries to keep in the fridge last time!

They are fine to use, you may well need more than one.

The other thing I would recommend is to buy some good probiotic tablets. I've been taking these religiously and touch wood thrush has gone..

Good luck, mine was awful, much sympathy.

eccentrica Sun 09-Jun-13 21:06:32

It is grim isn't it? I keep forgetting to take the Acidophilus.

birdbrain did you ever find out what it was?!

birdbrain21 Sun 09-Jun-13 22:49:41

eccentrica No idea what it is. my baby is now 8 weeks old. For the first few weeks after she was born I finally stopped being itchy, but that could just be it was so sore down there I didn't notice the itchiness wink as now it's come back a bit again, not as bad as when I was pg just some days I'm itchy some I'm not hmm

eccentrica Mon 10-Jun-13 10:56:14

Oh no, that sounds grim! At least you have your beautiful baby to cheer you up now - congrats smile

pretty sure mine is thrush confused

ExhaustedMamasita Mon 10-Jun-13 16:06:30

I experienced regular bouts of thrush in my first trimester and canesten cream worked fine to clear it up temporarily. I hated having thrush so was keen to nip it in the bud. I tried all sorts to ensure it didn’t rear its ugly head again. My Midwife suggested changing my underwear to big cotton knickers, which has worked amazingly! I love my lacy underwear (thongs) but unfortunately the lack of air down there coupled with hormonal changes caused me problems. Due to a change in underwear, I’ve not had thrush once during my entire second trimester and I’m nearly 28 weeks. They look dull and unsexy but big knickers have been my saviour!!

eccentrica Mon 10-Jun-13 17:25:21

Thanks exhausted - I've already been to M&S this week and bought a multipack of great big cotton knickers! It seems to be getting slightly better, touch wood.

birdbrain21 Mon 10-Jun-13 22:02:53

yep she's worth every moment of pregnancy and labour grin.
hope your thrush clears up soon and you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy with no more problems xx

ilovepowerhoop Mon 10-Jun-13 22:10:17

although the pessary is ok in pregnancy the oral tablet shouldnt be used.

nhs says this:

If you have thrush and you're pregnant or breastfeeding, you should always visit your GP rather than buying anti-thrush medication over the counter from a pharmacy.

You won't be prescribed oral treatment because it may affect your baby. An anti-thrush pessary, such as clotrimazole, econazole or miconazole will probably be prescribed to be used for at least seven days.

If you're pregnant, take care when inserting a pessary because there's a risk of injuring your cervix (neck of the womb). To reduce the risk, it may be better to insert the pessaries by hand instead of using the applicator.
If you have symptoms around your vulva, such as itching and soreness, you may also be prescribed an anti-thrush cream.

Holsfranklin28 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:00:42

In 5 weeks + 4 and am suffering with a mild thrush. I was given the canesten internal and external cream by the doctor but mixed ideas on using the applicator! I had a MC last month and am petrified to do anything to harm this pregnancy. If I don't use the applicator how else do you get the internal cream into you?!

Heatherbell1978 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:29:55

I'm 38 weeks and have had a couple of bouts this pregnancy. Same with first pregnancy. To be honest I've just bought it and used it without seeing doc as I know what it is. It's cleared up fairly quickly both times but also been using coal tar soap on my bits which I think has really helped too! Might be worth a try.

Heatherbell1978 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:30:53

Oh and I just bought the pessary/cream pack. You can insert the pessary with your finger so don't need to use the applicator. Amazon Prime will deliver...

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Tue 14-Feb-17 20:50:44

I have suffered from thrush on and off since giving birth to my second baby (my first vaginal delivery). During my third pregnancy I had awful thrush - the itching and soreness was unbearable at times. I used the cream, yoghurt, pessaries - but these only slightly relieved symptoms, they didn't get rid of it. For me the only way to get rid of it is the oral tablet...which I was told I couldn't take. Not because there was any evidence it caused harm but because there simply hadn't been enough research carried out.

The day my baby was born I started a seven day course of the oral tablet which finally shifted the wretched thing.

I wish I had just taken the tablet when I was pregnant as it would have saved all that discomfort. More importantly, it would have prevented my baby from contracting thrush from me during delivery. He's nearly two now and still has cream on his bottom every night. If we miss a night his bottom quickly gets red. I had been aware before the birth that there was a risk of my baby getting thrush during delivery and asked the midwife for the tablet to prevent that but she just said the risk was small. I feel so guilty that he got thrush from me. 🙁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now