Talk

Advanced search

Can you tell me about SPD? especially how early it can start.....

(10 Posts)
LadyTophamHatt Sun 28-May-06 07:37:48

because my lower back/hips are killing me

I'm not even 8 weeks yet so if it is SPD it's going to be a nightmare.

LadyTophamHatt Sun 28-May-06 09:29:41

PrettyCandles Sun 28-May-06 09:50:50

I doubt it's SPD in that case. SPD is generally felt most acutely at the front of the pelvis (it's the joint right in the middle, over your ladybits). You can get pain refered from there around your pelvis, partly because of the muscle tension that the SPD can cause.

Do you get backache with your periods? It's likely to be that, or that you have hurt your lower back.

Try lying on the floor with your legs up the wall and bum tucked tight into the skirting board (as if you were sitting on the wall IYSWIM). Put a medium-sized paperback book under your head. Try to straighten your knees, when you can do that flex your toes down towards you. This stretches the back and hamstrings and can relieve a lot of back pain.

Another good exercise is to lie on your back on the floor, tuck your knees to your chest and wrap your arms around them. This stretches the back in another direction, without stretching the hamstrings. Then release your legs and gently rock your knees both to one side, see if you can rest your legs on the floor without raising your shoulders. Then tcuk up again and rock to the other side.

Do the wall stretch and the tuck and twist alternately to see if it hlps.

PrettyCandles Sun 28-May-06 09:51:42

BTW, these exercises won't do any harm if you do have SPD.

schneebly Sun 28-May-06 09:56:34

I got it at 16 weeks but at 8 weeks it could just be ligaments adjusting - dont worry too much yet, you could try the exercises mentioned or a paracetamol and warm bath. I hope it gets better.

LadyTophamHatt Sun 28-May-06 10:28:53

Oh...thansk ladies.

Don't get back ache usually, but will attempt some exercises later.

Attempt being the impostant word and even the mere mention of the word makes me exhausted

PrettyCandles Mon 29-May-06 21:03:31

Luckily they're done lying down .

NotAnOtter Mon 29-May-06 21:05:19

I was into late thirties (36) i think but dreaing next time as i can still feel it 14 weeks pp!

flutterbee Mon 29-May-06 21:13:42

I had really bad spd and felt it full on from about 12-13 weeks possibly a bit earlier once it had been diagnosed my Midwife advised me that the serious pain I had at the bottom area of my back could have been linked to it, mine was a case of after about 5 mins of walking I couldn't carry on because of the pain in my back.

There was no proof that the 2 were linked but as I said the Midwife said she suspected they were.

jabberwocky Tue 30-May-06 09:46:45

LTH, I had really bad hip pain when pg with ds which I suspect now might have been SPD. So, this time around I have been a bit paranoid about it. Anyway, I had some hip pain at around 8 weeks (am 11 now) and used tiger balm and a heating pad. It worked really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: