Talk

Advanced search

would you have a smear test when preg ?

(15 Posts)
teabags Sat 27-May-06 21:12:02

that's it really! I am not sure I like the thought of having one if/when preg and wonderered what other MN's thoughts on it were?

Marne Sat 27-May-06 21:13:19

No, my doctor would'nt do it when i was pg.

kid Sat 27-May-06 21:13:26

I wouldn't. I was asked to have one when 8 weeks pregnant with DD but I knew there was a small risk of it causing a miscarraige so I decided against it.

spacecadet Sat 27-May-06 21:13:38

they dont usually perform a smear when you are preg, if you are due one they will do it at your 6 week check.

sugarfree Sat 27-May-06 21:18:38

Same as Kid.Had it done at 6 week check instead.

teabags Sat 27-May-06 21:25:42

thanks
I'll leave it for now then. they keep sending me reminders

Pixiefish Sat 27-May-06 21:29:20

No. I had one several years ago and miscarried.

spacecadet Sat 27-May-06 21:30:16

oh pixiefish

mazzystar Sat 27-May-06 21:31:13

IIRC the smear test wouldn't be accurate during pregnancy aspg hormones affect the appearance of cells - or something.

Mercy Sat 27-May-06 21:33:21

It should say on hte letter that smear tests are not done on pregnant women.

pixiefish

Pixiefish Sat 27-May-06 21:34:13

Quite roughly done spacey. I'm going back 13 years and things were different then.

When i was ttc for dd I had an abnormal smear and we waited till I'd had the all celar before ttc again.

Anyway i was due a 6monthly (after 2 6 monthly clear smears)smear when i was pg and the doc told me to leave it till after 6 week check. That's what i was going to do anyway

teabags Sat 27-May-06 21:36:29

oh pixiefish I'm sorry

the info sent doesn't say anything about not having one when preg but I definitely won't

trinityrhino Sat 27-May-06 22:15:05

no, definitely wouldn't

PinkTulips Mon 29-May-06 12:45:57

don't.

hospital here didn't do one during my last preg but insisted i have one this time at 21 weeks as i'd never had one done.

i was bleeding for the rest of the day and had some cramps, have ben having bad Braxton Hicks since which i'm convinced are related as they didn't start til much later in last preg.

definitely don't, i was bullied into having it done without being told the risks. i don't even take paracetamol during preg because of the miniscule risk so really angry i wasn't told til afterwards that it wasn't perfectly safe

bramblina Mon 29-May-06 12:49:49

Mine wouldn't do it as it can come back abnormal so is a waste of time. Had one with coli fitting 6m post partum. 2 for the price of 1. Wehey.
Not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: