Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

So I went to the GP.....

(19 Posts)
Tigglettchic Thu 06-Jun-13 20:19:50

we got our BFP on the 25th May, I tried to get a GP appointment as this was what I was advised to on here! I finally got one today.

I arrived, apprehensive and worried but also a little excited. The GP asked me what he could do for me and I said that I had found out that I was pregnant through POAS, he said, right, and..... so I said, what do I need to do next, he said that I needed to make a booking appointment and hurried us out.

I am confused, was I wrong to think that he would not have just taken my word for it but done a test himself to confirm? I was looking forward to that confirmation.

Now have to wait till the 27th June for the Booking Appointment as that was their first appointment.

Help, what is everyone else's experiences??? Should I be worried? Should I test again? Just because I am feeling sick, my boobs are on fire and there is movement 'down there', I am worried I am making it all up and not actually pregnant!!

HELP!!!

duende Thu 06-Jun-13 20:21:37

they do just take your word for it smile
in some surgeries you need to see the GP to be able to make an appointment with the midwife, in others you just make the booking appointment yourself.
congratulations smile

BerthaTheBogCleaner Thu 06-Jun-13 20:23:12

The test the GP could do at this stage would be exactly the same as the one you've done yourself. By a load of cheapy tests from ebay and pee on one every morning if it makes you feel better!

There isn't anything the doctors do for you at this stage of pregnancy - just eat sensibly and sleep as much as you can.

Congratulations!

mirry2 Thu 06-Jun-13 20:23:17

Yes they take your word for it and in my experience hand you over to the community midwives for the duration of the pregnancy

IControlSandwichMonkey Thu 06-Jun-13 20:24:49

There's no point them doing a test, they're no different to home tests. When I was pg first time round, you just booked straight in with the midwife, no need to see the gp. The only thing a gp can really do for you is answer any questions you have before your booking in appointment.

The booking in appointment is much more intensive, takes about an hour and involves weighing, measuring, full histories, blood tests etc. They still don't do a pregnancy test though!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 06-Jun-13 20:25:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hhhhhhh Thu 06-Jun-13 20:27:58

cinnieetaylor18 Thu 06-Jun-13 20:32:08

I had the same problem had to wait ages before i was checked. i was so worried that it was all false results and i wasn't pregnant. so i took two more tests but wasn't enough, i was so worried my mum, boyfriend and me all chipped in to get a private scan. they call them 'reassurance' scans if you are, or think you are, between 5-12 weeks! if you find one near you they will do it but it does cost, not a lot! mine cost £48! xx

PartyFops Thu 06-Jun-13 20:33:24

I found this out too, but luckily my gp knew me quite well as we were struggling to conceive for a few years and she could see my excitement so she offered to do a re test especially as I went in waving a pot of piss grin

MultipleMama Thu 06-Jun-13 20:35:21

My GP tested me and also did my levels before referring me to my consultant at the hospital. I think it just depends on your GP, most don't and take your word for it.

If it makes you feel better, take loads more tests but try not worry and stress yourself out. If you are pregnant, you'll notice the changes come your appointment.

Ruralninja Thu 06-Jun-13 20:35:52

I understand that it can feel like a bit of an anticlimax with the GP - almost like they should hug you, pop the champagne and then do some kind of fancy blood test. But don't worry, you'll soon be looking in your diary going 'oh no, not another appointment!' followed closely by 'where did I put my latest urine sample pot'.

Congratulations! And I agree if you don't want to wait until the 12 week scan, forking out for a private scan was money well spent on staying my fears (for about 2 minutes!)

Tulipsandbuttercups Thu 06-Jun-13 21:00:15

I felt the same, you just want confirmation!

I went to the doctors at 4 weeks, being one day late, feeling sick and sore boobs.

As I was under the local hospital for an op I had in January, when I went for my follow up appointment, I mentioned I was pregnant, I got sent to the EPU for an early scan so I got to see the baby and the heartbeat, this gave me reassurance, that I was actually pregnant.

I think I would have gone mad waiting for my 12 week scan which is in 2 weeks.

Congratulations!!! x

nj13 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:56:15

Yeah they just kinda refer you and thats it! sad makes you feel really dissapointed!
but wait till you have your scan and you will be soo excited !

oh and congratulations ! x

Tigglettchic Fri 07-Jun-13 21:45:15

Thank you all, it really was an anticlimax, I had held onto all my pee!! (god I was hopping and crossing everything!!) and I just wanted the confirmation, I wasn't going to tell work till they had confirmed, now going to wait longer!!

I have been looking at private scans, DH is not that keen, I just feel strange, although I am of the mind that once I had been sick in my mouth whilst doing an important meeting this week, I was either pregnant or dieing!!!!

I need to be patient or just continue to worry!!

Thanks all, I do feel I should have asked but guess it is too late now!!

xxx

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 07-Jun-13 22:58:43

wispa31 Sat 08-Jun-13 09:24:57

god i remember feeling exactly the same when i saw my gp, lovely as she was it was a bit of anti climax when she didnt re test or anything lol.

cakebaby Sat 08-Jun-13 09:40:44

Yep, welcome And congratulations! No one gives a toss at the moment apart from you and yours!

urtwistingmymelonman Sat 08-Jun-13 11:13:21

yep.they tend to just take your word im afraid.
these next few weeks are the worse and the longest.
I continued to do pregnancy tests until a week before my twelve week scan as it seemed that so little was happening.
im now 15 +3 and thing seem to be moving much quicker.
hang in there and congrats.

karatekimmi Sat 08-Jun-13 11:18:24

I wrote a very similar post after my gp appointment. I was expecting them to confirm it by Blood test but they just made my booking appointment!

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: