Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Placental Infarction

(6 Posts)
MommyUpNorth Fri 26-May-06 18:19:19

Just got back from my 2nd scan which was looking at 'something' that the consultant thinks might be a placental infarction. It looks to be a fairly significant part of the placenta but the baby is spot on for growth/dates. Has anyone heard of this/had this? I've been trying to do searches online but there doesn't seem to be loads of info on it and I was looking for something more user friendly than medical journals.

I'm at 14+3 at the moment and as the consultant faffs around trying to send the pics off to other people, I'm wondering if there is anything I could be doing to help the situation?

SoupDragon Fri 26-May-06 19:49:34

No idea but bumping the thread for you...

squarer Fri 26-May-06 20:25:04

Placental infarction is caused by a circulation problem in you at some stage of the placentas formation. I couldn't find anything which suggests ways that you can self help - in the majority of cases it appears that it doesn't actually cause a problem in the fetus. Had you found this kind of thing?

As it is circulation I would assume that a gentle stroll each day would benefit you!

MommyUpNorth Fri 26-May-06 20:37:10

Thanks for that SD & squarer. A stroll certainly wouldn't hurt, so of course will try. Well, we found the definitions of it, but I can't seem to see if it could possibly get worse, or cause problems with the birth (it is at the bottom of the placenta), or any other risks, etc... I'm just trying to find out anything I can in order to discuss it properly at our next meeting.

squarer Fri 26-May-06 21:32:36

There is another risk MUN... it is linked to heart disease in you in later life. Perhaps you could ask about that as it is the hot topic of the moment by the looks of things.

MommyUpNorth Sat 27-May-06 07:25:41

Thanks squarer. I will definately ask about that at my next appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: