Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Getting baby to kick?

(23 Posts)
Gonnabmummy Sun 02-Jun-13 23:21:58

Is there anything you found got baby to kick more/stronger? I'm about to become 27+5 and he's been kicking for ages they feel huge but DP can't feel a thing.
Twice I have seen belly move but he was at work. He seems to stop as soon as belly gets touched, just wondering if any position or technique to get him jiggling. Poor DP is lying with his head on bump waiting for a miracle...

Patchouli Sun 02-Jun-13 23:24:11

Ice cold water
(drink it, don't pour it on your belly)

1944girl Sun 02-Jun-13 23:28:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

looneytune Sun 02-Jun-13 23:33:14

Agree with a cold drink. Mine always really livens up after a drink of orange juice from the fridge smile

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 02-Jun-13 23:40:40

this never fails.

lay in the bath, and when all is quiet, flick both sides of the bath with your fingers simultaneously - used to cause much hilarity for me but i think its a jump more than a kick which i suppose is pretty cruel....(but i just figured i would get my own back before they became teens.....now they are 16 and 21....i dont feel it was unjust!)

steakchipsandfriedeggs Sun 02-Jun-13 23:41:57

I'm 32 weeks and still struggle to get DH to feel the kicks my little one dishes out. He also doesn't see my whole bump moving when he kicks so I started laying something on my bump (normally iPhone) so he can see it moving. Then if there is a rhythm like hiccups, he can feel the kicks a bit easier, if that makes sense? smile

rosiedays Sun 02-Jun-13 23:53:10

Dmil told dh to put his aftershave on his hands and put hands on bump. Works every time.

jammiedonut Mon 03-Jun-13 00:10:29

Talking or humming into belly normally works for us. Alternatively, if you can stomach it a nice cold compress/frozen peas/ice pack strategically placed on bump is always a winner (great to soothe stretch marks too!) and normally gets our munschkin kicking

PattieOfurniture Mon 03-Jun-13 00:17:59

Ice cold drinks worked a treat on my two

PattieOfurniture Mon 03-Jun-13 00:20:05

Give it a few more weeks and it'll move around so much it'll look like It's trying to break out of there

Cavort Mon 03-Jun-13 07:28:56

Get your belly out in some bright light or shine a torch at it? I went to Spain at 29 weeks and the sun shining through my belly in a bikini made mine seem as if she was trying to break free!

atrcts Mon 03-Jun-13 17:35:39

My midwife told me the lie of the baby - head down, spine and bottom laying on the left side of my belly button, so I find that when I massage the back and bottom area on the left of my stomach it gets baby to kick/punch/wriggle on the right hand side. Seems to work every time!

Any change of temperature usually works, either a nice warm bath or a cold drink with ice cubes. And sometimes if I treat myself to a rare treat to boost my energy (sugary drink like coke), it will really get him kicking!

atrcts Mon 03-Jun-13 17:37:24

But - having said all of that, it does slightly depend on the lie of the placenta too. My first pregnancy the baby kicks were not as obvious on the surface but my second pregnancy every kick is felt and very visible. The placenta was in front of one baby and not in front of the other, which I believe can make a difference.

justhayley Mon 03-Jun-13 18:55:24

An ice pole or lolly pop - and really random Cher music lol they used to play her greatest hits album at work and without fail everytime it came on DS would go nuts! Worth a try can't guarantee it will work though lol

Gonnabmummy Tue 04-Jun-13 11:57:31

Placenta is at the side? Tried the ice cold drink doesn't bother him at all, chocolate always gets him wriggling but nothing seems to make him KICK lol and when he does the always seem really low like on your knicker line so suppose that's why I can't see them ones. Think he'll have to wait like pattie said soon it'll look like he's trying to break out already feels that way! he never moves in bath my cousin said her dd wouldn't sit still when she got in the bath but no joy for me. Tried blowing raspberries on bump yesterday well DP did I'm not that flexible! I was sure he would move to that but nope lol

rrreow Tue 04-Jun-13 12:05:28

We had the same thing, every time DH put his hand on my belly the baby would stop moving. What worked for us was me either spooning DH or us lying down belly-to-belly (DH has a little bit of a belly though, it might not work so well if you have a very fit partner grin) during a time that I would know the baby to be active (usually at night when we go to bed).

Saku Tue 04-Jun-13 14:10:06

For me .. also baby moves in afternoon or night most.. so try to get kick feeling while lunch in afternoon on weekend to your partner... and cold water, orange juice, grapes(something sour), or very sweet ice-cream works well... smile

Gonnabmummy Tue 11-Jun-13 11:35:41

He felt him last night :D twice when we were in bed! I'm so happy it's just become very real and something we can both enjoy smile

FoofFighter Tue 11-Jun-13 12:38:26

Hot drinks get mine moving more than cold drinks

starsandstripes72 Tue 11-Jun-13 16:21:50

Mine always has a good wriggle if i indulge in fizzy pop and tangfastics!!

Gonnabmummy Tue 11-Jun-13 19:38:02

Hehe mine likes anything that's naughty ice cream sweets choc puddings ooo a big Sunday roast smile but he never seemed to do big kicks when DP was around. He's always on the go but so glad He finally felt him I couldn't hold back the tears of joy smile

Newmum0113 Wed 12-Jun-13 21:31:05

My DD is kicking and I can feel her strongly wriggling around but DH is never nearby when this happens! When he is she stops kicking. Tonight in bed she was kicking softly but he couldn't feel it from the outside although I was sure he should be able to.

I just wish he could feel her the way I can. I feel so selfish getting this all to myself! Is that normal??

quertas Thu 13-Jun-13 09:52:05

I go with sugary drink and then lying down on my side for a few mins. Usually makes my baby wake up and have a wander about. As long as you're moving about they mostly go to sleep, which is often why they sleep well/ settle in a sling after birth. I sympathise about your partner. As soon as my DH puts his hands on my bump, the baby stops kicking. It's got to the point that when he's really giving me grief (I'm 38 weeks now so he can really kick and hurt) I get DH to touch my bump to calm him down hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: