Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Suspected SPD=help!!

(15 Posts)
Dolallytats Fri 31-May-13 10:22:56

I am 32+4 weeks with DC3. I have an appt with a physiotherapist in a couple of weeks as I am having difficulty walking. I made this worse yesterday when my DS hurt himself. He was in a different room and I heard a scream so I leapt up and ran to him. He had managed to run the kitchen door over his toe (poor thing). But, because I jumped up, I must have pulled something in my already delicate upper leg/groin area and it was even more difficult to walk-I could hardly put weight on my left leg.

Sorry, essay!! I just wondered what can I do before my appt (agoraphobic, so physically going somewhere is not an option) and would something like crutches help? I am getting worried that the school run (which is only 7 mins away) is looking impossible. DH and older daughter can help with getting DS to school, but I still need to get him home (and really don't want to stay in completely as this will make the agoraphobia even worse and it's bad enough already)

Thanks!!

DameFanny Fri 31-May-13 10:40:17

A walking stick at least will help - if only because it makes you stand more upright. Take smaller steps - pretend there's a headlight on each hipbone and keep them facing forward at all times. Avoid low sofas and chairs. If you've got any stretchy belts - 80s style corset jobs - can you fix one around your hips under your bump?

See if you can get the physio brought forward, and ask your Dr about pain relief. Good luck.

Dolallytats Sat 01-Jun-13 08:39:36

Thanks Dame, I will have a look at investing in a support belt and a stick/crutch to help. I shall also try the headlight tip!!

Physio can't be moved unfortunately, they only had a couple of dates available, but I do have to book an appt for the whooping cough jab so I could talk to the doctor about pain relief then.

This is just another reason why 3 children will definitely be enough for us!!!

Thanks again!!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:59:03

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain.

I saw an osteo for my mild SPD. His advice was :

- walk as little as you can
- walk slowly, so plan enough time so you aren't rushing
- keep your legs together when possible esp in bed/getting in and out of bed/the bath
- climb stairs one stair at a time, so no sissor steps with your legs

But a belt and/or crutches might help if you are in lots of pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dolallytats Sun 02-Jun-13 07:48:43

Thanks Margo, I shall try all those tips. It's really strange, some days I can barely move and others it isn't so bad. I just never know what day I'm going to get!!

Only 7 weeks left to go, so not too long now smile

poocatcherchampion Sun 02-Jun-13 07:55:05

I think it comes and goes for many. well done 7 weeks is not too long to hang on. it you haven't got a suitable belt a pashmina or wide scarf would do.

also I hated the idea of this but ice right on your public bone is wonderful and relieving.

Dolallytats Sun 02-Jun-13 10:38:15

Thanks poocatcher!! Some days I wonder if I am imagining the days I can't walk!! I shall think about the ice, although it sounds a bit scary!!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 02-Jun-13 14:30:50

I have found the Dolly too. Some days are fine, worse on others.

I find wearing leggings is key. Jeans and trousers cut in right "there" esp when sitting.

poo the mind boggles!! I can just about reach down there post loo, cannot imagine trying to sit ice on it! But do think it might be soothing.

Roll on babies and goodbye SPD!

Dolallytats Sun 02-Jun-13 16:42:49

Margo, bump is so big, not sure I would get jeans on!! Have been wearing pull on trousers so I think they'll be ok.

Yes, I'm too chicken to try out poocatchers suggestion!! Made my eyes water thinking about it!!

poocatcherchampion Sun 02-Jun-13 18:00:11

honestly it is goooooood!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 02-Jun-13 18:34:13

Dolally just to be clear I mean mat jeans and trousers. But yes, at 38 weeks they aren't fitting very well. I haven't been able to wear normal bottoms thanks to my growing bottom and bump since about week 8!

I meant to say sorry to hear you are agoraphobic, it sounds very distressing. Sorry to sound ignorant, is there anything that can be done to improve it?

poo you are awarded a prize for 'bravery' during pregnancy, you and the ladies on the thread talking about hair removal 'down there' at almost full term! Have a thanks.

Dolallytats Sun 02-Jun-13 19:09:06

Margot, I was working on the agoraphobia before I found out I was pregnant. I was getting CBT and had been pushing myself to do things that made me anxious (taking DS to the library, getting a bus ti the local supermarket etc). Unfortunately, hormones made the anxiety go through the roof and it has been really hard just leaving the house. DS goes to school just 5 mins away and that is a struggle.

I am on the waiting list for therapy at 2 different organisations, 1 NHS, 1 private so hopefully will hear soon. Although, if it takes much longer, I will have to wait until after I have had the baby.

Until then, I've just got to get on with it. As long as I can get my son to school, that's fine-I can push myself more later. It's a strange thing to figure out!! I am agoraphobic and still don't understand it!!

On the subject of hair removal, I hope I'm not the only one that isn't bothering!! I can only just shave my legs (and am in pain afterwards!!) let alone worry about my nether regions!! I'm telling myself that they'll have seen worse (I hope!!) and I won't have to see any of them afain after the birth!!!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 02-Jun-13 19:28:18

Dolally well done for trying to address it but as you say don't push it. This pregnancy has been horrible, I really feel for anyone that has additional issues/challenges to cope with too. You get a thanks too.

Fingers crossed the treatments works for you when they are available. Post pregnancy sounds like a more sensible time, hopefully the hormones will stabilise.

Errr yes. I have done a couple of half hearted shaves, but really a shaved leg isn't going to detract from my giant form (!) nor will it impress the healthcare professionals! We all know that there isn't much dignity once it comes to delivery, I am sure they have seen it all before!!!

Ilovemyself Sun 02-Jun-13 21:38:42

Is there any way the physio can see you sooner? My wife had SPD early on with our twins, and as she was really struggling they rushed the appointment and some manipulation helped a little.

The belt and crutches also helped no end.

Pregnancy no 2 also resulted in SPD but much later on. She just used the belt and crutches for that.

Dolallytats Mon 03-Jun-13 07:02:39

Thanks Margot!! Unfortunately not Ilove, I had to wait for someone to come with me because I'm agoraphobic and the only appts they had were last Friday (too soon for DH to arrange time off work) or the appt I have.

I will be looking at support belts today though to see if I can buy a good one off the internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now