Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A sickness related question...

(11 Posts)
Shroomboom Wed 29-May-13 19:35:26

I'm 5+4 and have had HG in three previous pregnancies. I am desperate to try to keep it under control this time and so am trying to eat little and often despite already wanting to throw up!

What I can't work out is how to control the nausea in the evenings? I feel like if I eat anything from about 5/6pm onwards it just sits there and doesn't digest. When I brush my teeth before bed everything I've eaten comes straight up, and even then I feel like it's sitting there all night and so I still feel really sick in the morning. I can't not eat during the evening or I'd be sick anyway confused

How do I stop this?! <desperate emoticon> I know it's going to get worse, but I really don't want to end up in hospital like I have the last two times.

olivo Wed 29-May-13 19:44:53

Could you try using an alcohol free mouthwash instead of brushing your teeth? I didn't have Hg but I had very bad MS for a long time. I did this sometimes, rather than brushing, so I didn't throw up again.

olivo Wed 29-May-13 19:45:14

Oh, and congratulations btw!!

jammiedonut Wed 29-May-13 19:45:24

You poor thing. I didn't have Hg but did suffer with ms and near constant nauseau. My only advice would be to eat little and often and try to restrict to bland foods like rice cakes, dry toast etc as, ifyoure anything like me the slightest odd smell will set you off. Make sure you're taking your prenatal vitamins and drinking plenty as you'll be losing a lot of fluids and dehydration is only going to make it worse. I kept a stash of plain oaty biscuits by my bed so I could nibble in the middle of the night when I got hunger pangs (being hungry triggered my sickness, oh the irony!).
Have you seen the gp for anti sickness medication etc? Fingers crossed you manage to avoid Hg again.

Shroomboom Wed 29-May-13 19:55:10

Olivo, dh suggested that so I might try it, thanks smile

Jammie, good idea to keep stuff by your bed, need to do that I think. This is an IVF pregnancy, and am off to the hospital first thing tomorrow for a blood test to check things are progressing okay. I am dreading the journey there! Think I will ask them for something while I'm there. Oh I hate this, but am so glad to finally be pg again! Any kind of pregnancy sickness is just horrible sad

bebsy75 Thu 30-May-13 10:12:38

Are you on meds? Cyclizine works on the vomiting centre of your brain and may help you keep your food down. It has been used for years and is safe

Shroomboom Thu 30-May-13 12:04:09

Just got some meds now, fingers crossed they work... It's not Cyclizine Bebsy, I'm in Belgium so probably different things here. It begins with P (box is in kitchen!) and I took one about half an hour ago. Hope it works!

olivo Thu 30-May-13 13:44:13

Not sure if you have tried acupuncture. It worked for me bot themes. The second time, when my nausea and vomiting was much worse and lasted forever, it used to give me 5 days of feeling much more human.

Shroomboom Thu 30-May-13 17:15:48

Thanks for the reminder Olivo, I did it when I was pregnant with ds and it did really help. However, it's really difficult trying to find one where we live, and the guy I have found sounded reluctant to treat pg women. I might ask him again actually, thanks smile

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 30-May-13 18:10:55

I'm on my second hg pregnancy. I find I do throw up a lot more in the evening like you described - just feels like the food is sitting in the stomach and not digesting. I do find it easier if I stop eating much at all after about 3pm and just really lightly snack - a cracker, a few crisps, a banana. Just very very little amounts. I also lived off cup a soup for a few weeks. Really do advocate getting medicated very soon though, before you start being really sick.

Other things which have worked for me: flat coke in little sips. No iron rich food like red meat. No prenatal vitamins except folic acid. Don't eat and drink together. Also: forget mealtimes and just graze when you are hungry. I quite often make tea for ah and ds1 and then go have a bath as I've eaten and am not hungry it's all helped a bit although nothing really worked and I am just soldiering through.

Good luck - the hg support thread on here is really excellent.

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 30-May-13 18:12:22

Oh and NO CITRUS - a consultant told me this and it really does seem to help. I can just about manage a little carton of oj now but it makes your stomach more acidic and so worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now