Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

so baby was never even breech...

(17 Posts)
LilacBump Thu 25-May-06 12:08:47

the team of two midwives that i saw two weeks ago told me with blushed faces that they got it wrong. both have over 20 years of experience each and they got a 36 week position check wrong. so DP and i (and not to mention everyone we know) have been worrying and crying and fretting over this for nothing.

Ledodgyherring Thu 25-May-06 12:12:04

The same thing happened to me Lilac, even the minute before the scan the mw checked me and said 'oh yes a definate breech' then was amazed when the scan showed him 4/5 engaged. I think no matter how many years experience it is hard to tell the baby's postion as the head and the bottom can feel quite alike.

fruitful Thu 25-May-06 15:17:14

Better than the other way around though! My midwives were adamant all through my pregnancy that the baby was head down. I asked persistently every time I saw them because I the bump under my ribs didn't feel like a bottom. They sent me for a scan at 38 weeks and lo, she was coming feet first. The midwives then said she must have moved. Err, no.

FioFio Thu 25-May-06 15:20:39

Message deleted

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 15:22:45

Everyone has been worrying, crying and fretting??? It's not an exact science which position the baby is in. I think your reaction is a bit extreme, don't you just feel happy you're not having a breech baby?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 25-May-06 15:25:12

Gosh LucyJones that's a bit harsh, a lot of hospitals do not like trialling labout with breech babies so it can be a big thing.

I am glad the baby's not breech LB.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 15:27:25

sorry, didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, was just a bit mazed by the 'everyone we know' crying, fretting etc.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 25-May-06 15:31:39

aha the problem with typing!

My friend was told her baby was fully engaged, water birth at home planned blah blah. Went into labout, ended up in hospital. He was actually lying diagonally (transverse) and could never had delivered vaginally. I think they do get these things wrong a lot.

CADS Thu 25-May-06 15:33:57

Had the some thing from 28wks. Midwife kept telling me dd was breech and I can sympathise with your feelings. Scan at 36wks showed baby heads down. Then at 38wks mw sent me for a scan because once again she thought baby was breech. Scan, the very next day showed baby was heads down. 5 days later mw still couldn't be certain that dd was heads down by this stage I ignored her and she need better than to say anything further. DD had been heads down along.

Enid Thu 25-May-06 15:58:47

they can move right up to the moent they slither out (dd3 a case in point)

mears Thu 25-May-06 16:03:03

Can I just say how hard it can be getting the position of a baby correct. There are a lot of factors - size of baby, size of mum, amount of fluid etc. It is not an exact science. Did you have a scan to confirm presentation? Did that take 2 weeks?

vickiyumyum Thu 25-May-06 16:44:24

as mears says, it is not an exact science and a lot of different factors hinder/help a midwife identify the babys position.

i am a midwife, although only a newbie so not got years and years of experience, but i know of midwives who have sent women to have a scan to be checked the baby was breech, they had a c/s the next day and the baby was cephalic!!! this actually happened to me, with ds2 and dd both times was told they were breech had a scan on teh morning with ds2 and they said he was breech in theatre less than an hour later and he was cephalic! dd had a scan the day before, askerd if i wanted position checked in the morning but i was already there had had a c/s before so just went ahead and she was cephalic. so it even happens to the satff!
hope all goes well with your delivery though and you get the best birth for you.

LilacBump Thu 25-May-06 19:32:37

i'd just like to apologise for my reaction. i posted it as soon as i got home from the appointment and i was overreacting. it was however very frustrating to hear he'd been in the right position all along and we'd been so worried over nothing. obviously i feel very lucky that all is well with the baby.

LucyJones Thu 25-May-06 19:34:05

no need to apologise Fingers crossed the next few weeks pass without any problems xxx

mears Thu 25-May-06 23:50:18

No need to apologise LilacBump. I thought it might be helpful to know it can be really difficult to tell how babies are lying. Baby could have been breech 2 weeks ago and then turned. Just wondered why midwives said they got it wrong. If scan was 2 weeks after they suspected breech, baby could easily have turned before scan happened.
Glad baby is heading in the right direction now

misdee Thu 25-May-06 23:53:42

dd2 was suspected breeehc until 38weeks when i had a scan. midwife was a bit surprised, bump was small, and she was certain she was breech. turned out dd2 was 9lb and had a big bottom

MarsLady Thu 25-May-06 23:53:55

The day that the DTs were delivered (by c-section) I had three scans. They were in a different position each time (how they managed to turn in the space still amazes me today). Even as they took DT1 out, DT2 turned tail and headed down the birth canal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: