Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with DS2, should we have DS1 come to hospital to meet him - welcome others experiences...

(5 Posts)
AllThatJazzAgain Tue 28-May-13 19:14:48

I am due DS2 any day now. Plan is to give birth in midwifery led unit, come home within 6 hours or so and keep everything as same as possible for DS1.
With DS1 I was in hospital for 5 days. On the off chance something similar happens again should we introduce DS1 (2.5 years) to DS2 at the hospital or wait till I get home. What are others people's experiences of this, I am worried it may frighten him or build up a negative image of his baby brother who he is currently so excited to meet.

cathpip Tue 28-May-13 19:24:07

I had a section with dc2, dc1 came to the hospital to meet his new sister and was more interested in the sweets he had been bought rather than his sister.

rcs19 Tue 28-May-13 19:24:18

Dd1 (then 2.5) came to visit dd2 in hospital as I was stuck there for 4 days. She was thrilled to meet her baby sister and still talks about it six months later. My mum made her a packed lunch as it was lunchtime when she visited (long journey to hospital), she loved the adjustable height table to eat at. The midwives made a fuss of her and found some chocolate for her too. I don't think post natal wards are as scary for children as other wards. I think the older child often wonders what's happened to their mummy so visiting helps them to make sense of what they've been told.

Splatt34 Tue 28-May-13 19:26:55

i am in same situation and now booked for induction on Thursday. if I can't get home reasonably quickly DH will bring DD in to meet baby. That is provided we are in longer for me (ie section). If we ate staying in for baby probably won't bring her in. Won't be having any other visitors

JollyOrangeGiant Tue 28-May-13 19:28:54

I'm having a section with DC2, so DS will come to the hospital. I hadn't even considered that a hospital might be a scary place for DS. I don't know why it should be. He tends to be scared of very loud noises and large crowds. Neither of which will be in a hospital.

I think you'll just have to see what time if day it Is and how long you're in and make a call on that basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now