Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what does it mean if baby is 3/5ths engaged?

(9 Posts)
Fairy130389 Tue 28-May-13 15:29:26

Does it mean it might be soon? or does it have no bearing?

Mollydoggerson Tue 28-May-13 15:30:27

Might be soon, head is 60% down. Likely to happen soon.

MyDaydream Tue 28-May-13 15:41:50

I was 3/5ths at 38 weeks and went 11 days over before induction. It might happen soon, it might not.

ShowOfHands Tue 28-May-13 15:45:31

It doesn't mean anything about when the baby will come. DD was fully engaged at 31 weeks and stayed there for 8 weeks. DS never engaged. First babies tend to engage early and it's nothing to do with labour being imminent, subsequent babies often pop in and out and don't engage properly until labour starts.

Round here 3/5 engaged, means that 2/5 of the baby's head is down in the birth canal and 3/5 is still palpable.

bellablot Tue 28-May-13 15:47:20

I thought 3/5 meant only 2/5 of the head was in the pelvis, thus being 40% engaged...?

Ill be watching. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 28-May-13 15:56:57

It doesn't mean anything. Sorry.

Well it means the head isn't free, but it doesn't mean labour is any time soon, though it could be of course. Labour was immediate when my first baby engaged and my subsequent two never engaged if you go by my notes.

beckie90 Tue 28-May-13 16:50:12

3/5ths also means 2/5ths engaged and 3/5ths palpable round here too. But I believe its different in dif areas. But to the question, no it doesn't really mean anything unfortunately some can remain fully engaged for weeks x

june2013 Tue 28-May-13 18:12:38

An obstetrician told us that they estimated that the head of a baby is about the size of a hand, so they measure it by fingers. 2 of 5 fingers = 2/5 engaged. Given the huge variation in baby head size (eg. at 31 weeks vs 38 weeks) and hand size, I really don't think it means anything. Also, are any of you being told this after an actual scan rather than the midwife / GP have a feel around? My (30 years experienced) midwife was convinced baby was head down but she was actually head up - so palpating and measuring by fingers, etc. doesn't seem to reliable to me!

And as many people have said it doesn't actually say anything about when baby will come, many go become 'engaged' in labour...

VisualiseAHorse Tue 28-May-13 18:39:14

Like other have said - it's not always an indication of the baby coming.

I had a late scan at 38+4, baby was not engaged at all. Had him three days later - actually felt him 'engage' during labour. Waters were gushing everywhere, then suddenly felt this drop inside, and the waters stopped, like his head had plugged the hole smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now