Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paris at 34 weeks - Would I be crazy

(13 Posts)
eclondon Tue 28-May-13 14:31:34

I am 31 weeks at the moment and have my boyfriend's birthday coming up in a few weeks and I had a crazy idea this morning (could be hormones!!) that we could go to Paris for a night via Eurostar? I would be 34 weeks when we went. We live in london so easy to the station.

We wouldn't plan to do anything crazy, just have a wander round and then grab something for dinner... and home the next daY ... my heart tells me it would be a last romantic trip (with a whale!) before the baby came!

Would I need a letter (like flying?) or special insurance?

On pregnancy the Eurostar website says... Eurostar have no stipulation on this, However we do ask that they consult their doctor before they travel.

All opininions appreciated (including UK Based alternatives!)

nancerama Tue 28-May-13 14:35:36

I travelled to Amsterdam on business at 35 weeks. I just needed a letter from my doctor, but nobody actually asked to see it.

I recommend you check with your travel insurers and get yourself an EHIC card too. Make sure you carry your maternity notes.

As long as you feel fine, I would go for it. You're not going to get time like this as a couple again for about 18 years!

june2013 Tue 28-May-13 18:17:00

It really depends on how you feel now I'd say. I went to a music festival at 34 weeks and I was fine. I'm 37 weeks now feeling great and would LOVE a romantic weekend in Paris... Enjoy!

Excited85 Tue 28-May-13 18:51:51

Sounds fab, and what a destination for your last hol before the baby comes! Just take your notes and make sure you've looked into travel insurance but otherwise I say go and enjoy it smile

Marineblue Tue 28-May-13 18:53:45

I went to a wedding in France when I was 34 weeks...and danced a lot smile
I am sure you'll be fine, and in any case, if you are really worried...the train ride is only about 2 hours, and there are plenty of good hospitals in Parisgrin - I would have my baby there if I could. Have fun!

NomDeClavier Tue 28-May-13 18:57:49

How's your French? Giving birth in a country with a totally different birthing culture to the one you're anticipating in a foreign language is no picnic. If you're prepared to take that risk go for it.

First labours tend to be long so even if you get stuck in the train (it happens) they'll be able to at least get someone to you!

Identify the nearest hospitals. Work out the key phrases you'll need and translate them. Don't plan on doing too much!

ShadowStorm Tue 28-May-13 19:21:41

If you decide to do this, please make sure that you have travel insurance that would fully cover you and a newborn premature baby in the event of the baby deciding to turn up while you're in Paris.

Seconding advice about making sure you have hospitals identified and key phrases prepared.

Just in case the baby does decide to surprise you and turn up early.

Marineblue Tue 28-May-13 19:46:29

This can be useful
http://paris.angloinfo.com/information/healthcare/emergencies/

But honestly, don't worry too much, and enjoy!

LadyMedea Tue 28-May-13 21:05:06

Check the travel insurance, an EHIC won't cover all the non hospital bits!

eclondon Wed 29-May-13 09:39:56

Thank you all very much! I was wondering if I was being over ambitious.

I will certainly look into getting comrehensive insurance (before I book) and identify the nearest hospital to the hotel. I've got a-level french but I don't think that woudl get me very far in a situation of Labour so looking out some key phrases sounds very wise...

Now all I have to do is book the trip... how very exciting! Thank you all x

NomDeClavier Wed 29-May-13 13:42:04

PM me if you need. I've done it here, teach midwives English and have interpreted too.

If you have time get to the Hopital Franco-britannique or request a transfer there. They have anglophone staff.

Xalla Wed 29-May-13 13:47:46

I think you'd be crazy not to wink

CitizenOscar Fri 31-May-13 22:14:01

I'm 34 weeks and in France right now, here for a wedding. Really hoping to make it home tomorrow with no disasters!

Insurance co said no problem as long as doctor said I was fine to travel and no reason to think baby would come early.

Had 34 week appt at 33 weeks and doctor said no problem.

I have, however, been completely knackered - this week seems to have marked the transition into the "heavily pregnant" stage. I danced til 1.30am at the wedding but have felt awful since then!

Enjoy, if you decide to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now