Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity bras

(12 Posts)
PinkParsnips Tue 28-May-13 13:47:01

Are any of you larger-busted ladies having trouble finding maternity bras?!

I've been measured at Mothercare as needing a 38G but they have none in stock in my two local stores or online, Debenhams seem to be out of stock on everything, Figleaves don't have anything in my size and M&S in my size are well, hideous!!

IThere seems to be a few nursing ones available in my size but don't really want those (only 16wk preg) and need ones that give as good support as a non-underwired bra can really. Don't really want to pay £30+ per bra either if they are gonna grow even more confused

Does anyone know of any other good sites / shops to try??

HazleNutt Tue 28-May-13 13:54:16

first, Mothercare is notoriously bad at fitting, the chances are they got it wrong. Have you checked out any of the bra intervention threads here, just to make sure you really need this size?

Second, sure you even need non-underwired maternity bras? Those will never give you the same support and shape and there's no reason you can't wear underwire during pregnancy, as long as it fits properly. I've been simply wearing normal ones (just in a bigger size) - way easier to find and for less than £30+.

drcharliegirl Tue 28-May-13 14:01:29

Yes - it's almost impossible. I went to Bravissimo for a fitting, only to be told they didn't go up to my size (40G). That said, they did find a halfway decently fitting underwired one which I could rig with a back-expander (these have been a lifeline and can be bought from M&S/John Lewis etc. v cheaply).

The ladies in John Lewis have been the most helpful at measuring. Their bras are pretty hideous though. Had no joy at M&S. Once you have been measured I liked Amoralia bras...

The best thing in late pregnancy for me though has been the soft, T-shirt material "sleep bras" sold by JoJo Maman Bebe. They have no wiring, come in small, medium and large and provide as much support as I need for lounging around the house waiting for DD to appear!!!

Good luck!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 28-May-13 14:03:31

You can wear under wired bras as long as they fit!

I'm currently 34h/hh (up from a 32g pre pregnancy) and am just fine in normal panache and Fantasie bras from bravissimo. I was last fitted at 8 weeks and am now 20 weeks, so am due to go back.

I hope I can fit in them again as I shrink once I stop bfing. I don't think I could get the support I want from m&s or mothercare, so no choice but to spend a bit more.

MaybeNotThen Tue 28-May-13 14:05:47

I had a fitting at Bravissimo when pregnant, I found them incredibly comfortable, though I did have the odd normal underwired bra for certain outfits. I lasted for a while in my normal bras with the back extenders too.

Smitten1981 Tue 28-May-13 14:38:00

I just got one from Figleaves today and it's not as bad as I thought, quite comfy!

I'll find the link...

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product/ANT-5068/Anita-Maternity-Smooth-Underwired-Nursing-Bra/?size=&colour=Black

Smitten1981 Tue 28-May-13 14:38:37

How on earth do you do links on here, argh!

www.figleaves.com/uk/product/ANT-5068/Anita-Maternity-Smooth-Underwired-Nursing-Bra/?size=&colour=Black

LateBloomer414 Tue 28-May-13 14:50:57

They aren't cheap but I'm scheduling an appt next week at Rigby & Peller, where I go for my normal bras, to see what they can put me in. I'm 34G and at 12 weeks am starting to bust out of my regular size (pun intended smile). My midwife told me under no circumstance should I continue to wear underwire bras but the soft cup ones at John Lewis and M&S were horrible. I will risk her wrath.... The issue I was really having was how to contain my boobs when going to bed - they have been so sore and it got really uncomfortable to go without support. I bought a sleep shirt with a built in bra from Bravissimo which is super comfortable and well worth the £29 (although it did give me sticker shock!). I also got a Snuggi (Snoggi? something like that) sofa bra from JL that I can wear under my other pjs. It's a large and I am barely contained in it but it really does help ease the discomfort of going without a proper bra for sleeping.

froubylou Tue 28-May-13 16:27:00

Ive actually found correctly fitted and adjusted non wired bras as comfortable and supportive as wired bras. Im currently 10 weeks and gone from 36e/f to a 38g in non wired without too much trauma.

I dont think you need a professional bra fitter either. You know your own body bettet than anyone else. Take a friend with you and enlist the fitting room woman in helping you try on various styles and sizes.

Im also a massive (literally!) fan of the fantasie range and will buy myself a nice wired bra from them in next few weeks for special ocasions or strappy tops.

Nonwired bras do tebd to have more fabric and thicker straps than wired ones so dont always suit.

But for everyday bras I have 2 pair from debenhams and 1 from m & s at the min. Non are sexy really but all comfy and supportive!

Choccybaby Tue 28-May-13 16:41:57

I'm 39 weeks and 40f ish and have found the bravado nursing bras really good and as they cover several sizes should last a while when nursing so more cost effective.

I found www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk really good as they have free delivery (which I received less than 24 hours after I ordered) and you can return any that don't fit.

rootypig Tue 28-May-13 16:44:47

If you're after a soft cup bra, the Bravado silk seamless (online inc John Lewis) is incredibly comfy, I have worn it day and night from about 4 months pregnant through 6 months of breastfeeding. Which I have just finished and now am going to burn the bloody thing! grin

LondonLancashireRose Tue 28-May-13 16:50:16

I've found the bravado silk seamless really good too. My baby is now 6 weeks old and I've worn them day and night since 36 weeks pregnant. Pre-pregnancy I was 32F (god knows what giant size I am now!) and the bravado size medium has fitted really well, even during the few days after my milk came in when I felt like Jordan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now