Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Where to find stats about my local hospital?

(14 Posts)
ComtessedeFrouFrou Mon 27-May-13 20:54:23

Prompted by another thread, it occurred to me that I don't know anything about how good my local hospital is, other than the (favourable) reports I've heard from friends. Where would I find out if, say, my local hospital had a very high rate of forceps use?

Futterby Mon 27-May-13 20:59:10

I'll keep an eye on this, curious too smile

khaleesidragon Mon 27-May-13 20:59:17

I think if you go on the NHS website or google find my local hospital you can put your postcode in and select maternity services and all your local hospitals come up, you can then compare stats and equipment etc.

Will try and look when I'm off my phone.

khaleesidragon Mon 27-May-13 21:01:25

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Maternity service/LocationSearch/1802

Sorry, can't link but think that should have reviews and stats for epidurals, C-sections and all that jazz.

Hawkmoth Mon 27-May-13 21:04:15

Shit! My chosen has 45% unassisted vb rate.

janey1234 Mon 27-May-13 21:04:57

If you happen to be in london you can find loads of useful stats here

MrsBri Mon 27-May-13 21:11:11

Mine is 40.50% Shit!

What year are the stats from?

Jollyb Mon 27-May-13 21:12:53

www.birthchoiceuk.com/Professionals/Frame.htm

MrsBri Mon 27-May-13 21:19:01

The stats seem different on that site. That lists my hospital as having a 12.2% instrument rate, with just over 4% being forceps.

Excited85 Mon 27-May-13 21:20:28

Mines 40% as well. Though about 8 came up in my area, all were in 30s and 40s so perhaps that's fairly standard?

ComtessedeFrouFrou Mon 27-May-13 21:32:01

Thanks all. Mine seems to be 44.6%. Is that good, bad or average confused

ComtessedeFrouFrou Mon 27-May-13 21:33:24

Ah, I see that on the birth choices website, it says that the rate for England is 41%, so 44.6% seems pretty good.

Futterby Mon 27-May-13 21:42:47

Oh shit, mine says it has a 27.2% normal birth rate!! What does that mean? D:

janey1234 Tue 28-May-13 09:12:50

The link that I posted (only works for London I think) includes not just unassisted births data, but also things that I think are just as important eg percentage of women who receive the pain relief they ask for. I was choosing between two hospitals and one had 60% and the other 80% - guess which I chose!

Futterby - I would discuss it with your midwife. One thing to consider though is the type of people that use your hospital. If there are, for example, lots of older mothers (say 35+ - and I'm one of those so don't think I'm being judgey!) giving birth there the unassisted birth rate will be much lower than hospitals with a younger average age. But as I say, discuss it with your midwife. And if she doesn't know anything about it (mine didn't) express your concerns and ask to speak to a consultant about it. I did, and the consultant ran through the exact chances of all different birth types for me based on my personal circumstances (age, first time mother etc). As a result of that I've chosen an elcs as the odds of me having an unassisted birth were so slim, and I'd prefer elcs vs emcs, and really, really didn't want forceps...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now