Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PND is there anyway to avoid it?

(12 Posts)
cupcake78 Mon 27-May-13 12:32:19

I'm at high risk of getting PND and only 4 weeks away from due date. Ive came off anti depressants a month ago and although I'm massively better than I have been for the last 18 months i am very susceptible to hormones. I had terrible baby blues with ds, lasted for 3-4 weeks just sat crying numerous times a day. I was utterly miserable. This lead to PND which affected my bonding and ability to breast feed. I didn't see ds as mine till he was at least 6 months old.

Last night I realised the level of my concern when I was considering and researching placenta encapsulation. Doesnt look like its something i can do where I live. Dh (slightly horrified at the idea) asked is there nothing else you can do to try and prevent or help with the baby blues and potential PND.

cravingcake Mon 27-May-13 12:42:15

I'm no expert but as you have suffered from this before you will be a lot more aware of your emotions and what is normal for you. You will be able to recognise a lot quicker if things start to slip into the blues and depression. And don't be afraid to go straight to your gp and ask for anti-depressants and counselling if that is going to help. A short dose may be all you need to help you through those really tough few months.

I've no idea what can be done to prevent it, but I have read somewhere that just because you had it first time, doesn't mean you will definitely get it again.

mrsannekins Mon 27-May-13 12:49:00

I don't think there is any magical way of avoiding PND...I think it just happens, but you can take steps to reduce the severity. A very good friend of mine came off her ad's cold turkey when she found out she was preggie, and so was also at high risk of going on to develop PND, but she was absolutely determined not to give in. So she took a high dose of Omega 3 (holland and barratt have them on offer at the mo), which is ok when you are preggie and breastfeeding, made sure she ate well and regularly to avoid swings in her blood sugar, and also went out for a long walk every day, come rain or shine. Exercise is one of the best things there is.

It wasn't easy by any means, but she got through it, and as a single mummy just escaping an abusive relationship too. Good luck x

DaveMccave Mon 27-May-13 13:48:56

Yes- the idea might sound gross at first, but studies show te reason all other mammals eat the placenta is because the placenta takes over hormone regulation in pregnancy, it takes a while after birth for the hypothalamus to regulate hormones again, but consuming the placenta as soon as possible after birth is thought to regulate your hormones. (As well as reduce post partun bleedin and bring your milk in quicker and give you energy). It's a popular method with those who have suffered from PND before. Might be worth a google or contact a placenta encapsulation service in your area to discuss?

DaveMccave Mon 27-May-13 13:52:12

Oh sorry, I didn't notice the second paragraph on your post! Encapsulation is often considered too late, having a smoothie within 12 hours of birth works best. Many people who offer the service will travel across te country to do it, or contact a doula? Some open minded midwives will do it too, can you ask yours? Or get your partner to read up on it and why it's important before turning his nose up. I think it's te least he can do after the pregnancy and birth you have been through.

Ilovestackingcups Mon 27-May-13 14:15:24

I remember feeling exactly the same as you OP, not able to accept DC1 as mine, deeply miserable, weepy, hormonal, depressed for the first six months of her life with no let up. Then, things got easier (with some counselling) as I got into a better rhythym, my support networks all clicked into place, and I understood that how I felt was okay. Acceptable, even.

This time, I am planning to sort out all of my support (mum, dad, DH, friends, HV, MW) well in advance. I have kept my counsellor's number on my phone. I am going to discuss my concerns with my GP and HV/MW before I deliver. It might not help me to avoid PND, but it means I won't be looking out for the signs alone. I have also told many friends about what I went through privately last time, so they are aware of how I may be.

Like you, the thought of going through it all again gives me the willies, especially as I have another little person who won't understand 'mummy wants to curl up facing the wall and think about death today' as an excuse for not going on the swings. I have also set my sights on six months after DC2 arrives, rather than focussing so much on the birth. I accept that the first six months may be hell, but I also know that I got through them once, and I hope to do so again.

Don't feel that encapsulation is your only hope. It is an option for some people but remember that millions of women go through PND the world over without making a capsule or smoothie from their placentas first, and come out the other side.

Good luck to you! smile

cupcake78 Mon 27-May-13 17:58:58

Thank you ladies. I'm off my anti depressants because I feel like I can manage without them. There is obviously a natural come down period but so far so good.

I totally agree with the exercise helping and just getting out of the house really helps. Once my spd goes and the crutches can be returned I can't wait for walks!

I've got Vit b complex and evening primrose oil, which I'm just starting to take now. Not only for the benefits of cervix ripening but also for the balancing effect.

I think your all right I will notice the effects a lot faster because I'm so aware of how it affects me.

VisualiseAHorse Mon 27-May-13 19:11:38

I think one of the biggest factors is having a very good support network around you - family and friends who you can truly talk to about how you are feeling.

ChildOfThe1980s Mon 27-May-13 21:58:42

I had PND with my DS and am pregnant now.

I have spoken to my MW about this, and you can ask for a progesterone pessary straight after birth- put it on your birth notes. Apparently it may help.

I also recommend exercise and talking to people that you trust- don't internalise things- get them off your chest as much as possible.

cupcake78 Mon 27-May-13 22:11:41

I had no idea about the progesterone pessary. I will mention it when I see her next.

moregranny Tue 28-May-13 10:30:50

after the birth of my second child 30 years ago I suffered horrendous PND, I struggled for over 2 years, we then got a new young health visitor who accompanied me to the Drs( the dr had told me to get a hobby to take my mind off of it ) She informed the dr that I needed natural progesterone suppositories asap whatever the cost, I was back to my normal happy,healthy self within 3 weeks, I was not given antidepressants, I hope you are ok, x

LeBFG Tue 28-May-13 12:22:04

My mother suffered from an extreme form of PND with 2 of her 3 pregnancies so this has always played on my mind wrt my pregnancies. When I checked out the research, the big message by far and large was what VisualiseAHorse says - get a good support network.

In addition, my comittment to bf was in part to promote bonding and ward off PND...however this has mixed support in the science literature as I suppose some women struggle to bf and might in some cases make PND worse confused.

Best of luck in any case. If you find it too hard, stick with the AD - better that than PND.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now