Talk

Advanced search

Changing bag for real nappies

(9 Posts)
afrikat Mon 27-May-13 12:10:35

We are planning on using real nappies and it might be a stupid question but can we use a normal changing bag or can you get specific ones for real nappies?

Any real nappy advice welcome!

ItCameFromOuterSpace Mon 27-May-13 12:57:36

When you say real nappies, do you mean cloth as opposed to disposable?

afrikat Mon 27-May-13 13:02:46

Yes - cloth washable ones

Indith Mon 27-May-13 13:13:38

You just need a nice, roomy, comfortable bag really. I've always used cloth and never used a "proper" change bag. It just depends on what I'm doing. If out for the whole day I might use a separate rucksack. If just out for the morning or whatever then often just stick a nappy and couple of cloth wipes in the wetbag in my handbag then when I change the nappy I have the wetbag with the wet nappy in my bag and I stick a spare disposable in there too in case of a surprise extra poo. With my eldest I took about 20 nappies everywhere I went, I pared it down as I had more children!

Depends on how you are feeding though too. If bf then just chuck a nappy in your handbag but if ff then you might find a "proper" change bag more useful as they often have insulated compartments for bottles so you could pop a made up bottle in there with a little ice pack and have it stay safe to drink (for up to 4 hours).

Indith Mon 27-May-13 13:20:25

this is my current handbag. I can get a couple of cloth nappies, wipes, snacks, pair of spare pants and legging for dd and my gubbins in it easily enough. I sling so not out with a pushchair to shove stuff under. If you have a pushchair then you've got no problems! You can usually squish a couple of cloth nappies into those --http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-Designer-Change-Colours-Vary/dp/B003WVLZXK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369657084&sr=8-4&keywords=fold+up+changing+mat fold out change mats]] too or the minki grab and go is quite nice, stuff clean nappies in one half, wet bag with dirty ones in the other and it has a little spray bottle with it so you take your cloth wipes dry and spray as you go.

Indith Mon 27-May-13 13:21:01

Sorry, link fail! fold out mat

rrreow Mon 27-May-13 13:23:36

With my first I had a Bababing which looks very useful but has surprisingly little space inside, even with just disposables. Now expecting baby number 2 and will have both kids in real nappies, I've got myself a Babymule changing bag. It's got loads of space without looking or feeling too big. I haven't actually used it out & about yet (as it's allocated as my hospital bag), but I can definitely attest that you can fit LOTS of stuff in and I bought it because many of the reviews (have a look on amazon) specifically mentioned it being a good bag for real nappies and/or people with more than one child.

Ilovestackingcups Mon 27-May-13 14:25:33

Hello! Another cloth nappy and sling user here.

I used a laptop rucksack on the back, baby on my front approach for carting it all about. Inside rucksack, any old bag will do for dirty nappies as I roll them back up on themselves once they have been used. I was given an oversized purse which I stuffed with Mothercare washable wipes and a water squirty bottle from Boots, plus emergency Sudocrem.

When I realised i was pregnant with DC2, I began to use a buggy (DC1 was about 13 months I think) and then, as someone else has said, you just stuff it all underneath anyway.

What type of nappies are you using? Just some take up much less space than others. If going down the separate wrap route, the nappies feel much closer to the size of a disposable (we used Motherease for the first weeks with DC1) but the all in ones are bulkier, but easier to change a squirmy-roly-poly baby into and out of on the hop (later on, we graduated to TotsBots Easyfits).

Why a laptop rucksack? It was to hand the first time I tried to take DC1 out on my own. You really don't need to splash out a small fortune a lot of money on a purpose built nappy bag, whatever flavour of nappy you're using.

afrikat Mon 27-May-13 16:42:33

Thanks everyone! I think I will make sure I have a wet bag from the start then figure out what will be the most convenient once we know what our lives look like

I have no idea what type will be using yet ilovestackingcups - we are going to a local info evening in July and think we will end up trialling a few different types before committing - seems that different ones work for different people so seems sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now