Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to wear?!

(13 Posts)
Futterby Sun 26-May-13 16:48:53

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and my baby bump is definitely showing but I'm at that stage where my jeans just don't fasten but maternity clothes are huge on me! Any sugestions? What did you guys do? smile

mrspaddy Sun 26-May-13 16:51:49

I found that time the hardest - from about 12-16 weeks. I got black underbump trousers from New Look. They don't feel as 'maternity' and neat fit. You could get away with maxi dresses in good weather now.

New Look have navy linen ones too though read on here New Look doesn't suit everybody.

There are bump bands.. I never tried these but friend did and said was great.

2Labradors Sun 26-May-13 17:02:46

I'm there now, it's frustrating isn't it.

I'm having to wear maternity trousers for work as the tightness around my tummy was hurting too much during the day, they're too big but I hide them with baggy tops a size bigger.

We've got a wedding in 2 weeks too and I've managed to find a maternity dress in new look that doesn't look too huge and baggy around the bump area.

In the house I live in sweater pants or pyjamas. I can still get a pair of my normal jeans on with a hair bobble around the button, hidden with a long top again.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sun 26-May-13 17:09:10

these leave your trousers or skirt undone and wear over the top.

For the wedding would a non maternity dress be better? Just one with more of an empire line or at least tummy skimming cut?

Lydia161290 Sun 26-May-13 17:10:42

At that point, I was wearing under the bump leggings and long vest tops!

FoofFighter Sun 26-May-13 17:11:42

A hair bobble looped through the buttonhole and over the button buys you a couple more weeks, and combine with a bump band for extra security smile

Snowflakepie Sun 26-May-13 17:15:12

Under bump jeans in a size or two smaller than normal might help now. I didn't need overbump until much later. Next do black under bump trousers with adjustable buttons inside which were fine for work on the tightest hole. Stretchy normal tops with a bump band if you want to hide the hideous waistband on most mat trousers.

It's hard because so few places are on the high st to try on anymore. Mamas and papas are massive on the sizing, as is mothercare. If you have a Debenhams nearby try red herring, they are quite nice. Or order from next or new look and return, if you get it sent to store it's free at least.

Don't buy loads as you may well find you need some bits now and then more generous stuff later. Trousers are always the first to be needed and the hardest to find, IME. Good luck!

StuckOnARollercoaster Sun 26-May-13 17:21:58

I found dresses great during this period as I could wear a fair number of regular styles as well as starting to pick up some wrap/maternity ones. Particularly as my body shape seemed to change so much over the course of a day due to evening bloating.
Even now at 38 week's I find a dress comfier over the bump rather than the dilemma of over or under bump trousers and skirts...

StuckOnARollercoaster Sun 26-May-13 17:22:23

I found dresses great during this period as I could wear a fair number of regular styles as well as starting to pick up some wrap/maternity ones. Particularly as my body shape seemed to change so much over the course of a day due to evening bloating.
Even now at 38 week's I find a dress comfier over the bump rather than the dilemma of over or under bump trousers and skirts...

Futterby Sun 26-May-13 17:38:03

Fantastic ideas, thank you!! :D

FoofFighter Sun 26-May-13 19:35:56

yy to dresses, far more comfy!

Splatt34 Sun 26-May-13 19:56:44

hair bubble through button hole saw me to 20+ weeks both times. Leggings with tunic style tops. summer dresses (i am 40+8 & wearing a non maternity summer dress today)

Clobeno Sun 26-May-13 20:09:50

You can buy some jeans from asos that are perfect for a small bump. They are like normal jeans but have elastic on the side so no digging in. www.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity/ASOS-Maternity-Ridley-Supersoft-Ultra-Skinny-Jean/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1908846&cid=8345&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Deep+indigo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now