Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Foot Spa's in pregnancy ??

(5 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sun 26-May-13 11:41:43

I went to buy a foot spa/ massager from argos yesterday and before I ordered it I read the full write up which said, not reccommended in pregnancy. Needless to say I didn't get it but just wondered why?? Is it because the vibration could be dangerous?? Xx

blondebaby111 Sun 26-May-13 21:11:30

Anyone???

Queazy Mon 27-May-13 09:11:28

I just read this, had no idea either and hope it helps...

1. use of some aromatherapy oils can cause problems with premature labour etc

2. there are points on the foot that if used in reflexology can use contractions and these points should not be stimulated until near term, therefore using a foot spa can stimulate these points and risk premature labour.

blondebaby111 Mon 27-May-13 09:25:01

Thankyou queasy, I googled it last night (can't think why I didn't do this in the first place haha) and it said the same thing as you. Will have to put it on hold for a while xx

rallytog1 Mon 27-May-13 10:41:10

I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up, but I put my feet in a jacuzzi for 10 mins when I was 32 weeks. That night I had the most intense and painful contractions for about 5 hours - I thought I was in labour.

Obviously I can't say for definite that it was the jacuzzi that caused it, but I have read since that there are certain parts of the foot that could cause contractions if stimulated. DD was eventually born at 40 + 12 so it's not as if it was early labour signs or anything.

I avoided all bubbles near the foot area for the rest of my pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now