Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Size of hospital bag

(12 Posts)
emsiepoops Sat 25-May-13 20:14:17

Hi

I originally planned on packing a weekend sized bag to take with me but after seeing lists on the internet I need something bigger! Is it ridiculous if I take a medium sized wheely case aaaand my weekend bag?!

What are you guys doing? smile xx

Pascha Sat 25-May-13 20:19:09

Take the weekend bag in with all the essentials for labour and just afterwards, one pack of pads, a few nappies, a couple of baby outfits and whatever you are planning on wearing straight after.

Then have another bag packed with all the other gumph you think you'll want in hospital but keep it stashed somewhere, in the car or with whoever will come to see you.

Don't pack it all in one bag or you will end up rooting through all sorts of crap just to get the necessaries.

LoganMummy Sat 25-May-13 20:19:10

You really, really won't need that much!

Some of the lists of items you 'need' are crazy!

A weekend bag will be fine. You can always have extra items looked out at home for someone to bring in if needed. I found two small bags worked well - one for labour and one for on the ward after.

Happy packing!

Awakeagain Sat 25-May-13 20:22:04

I had my carry on suitcase packed for me and my large handbag changing bag packed for ds with plenty of stuff for him
Dh/dp or dm etc can easily bring other items if you need them or end up staying in hospital longer
We took first size (up to 10lb) and 0-3 just incase!

Littlemissexpecting Sat 25-May-13 20:26:28

I've got a weekend bag packed for me and using the baby's change bag for baby's stuff.
Might just have a small carrier bag in car for snacks/ drinks etc that DH can pop out to get when we want them.

nailslikeknives Sat 25-May-13 20:26:49

Both times, I had one hold-all for me and one for the baby. Much easier to find everything.

Yonionekanobe Sat 25-May-13 20:28:34

I followed an Internet list and took WAY too much stuff. This time I know i do not need three novels and a DVD player blush

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Sat 25-May-13 20:31:16

What ever you take it will be too much. I had one of those little hard cases that can be taken on board but also expands iyswim. One side for me and one for the baby.

dizzy77 Sat 25-May-13 20:37:20

I have packed 2 bags for dc2's imminent birth. Both overnight sized (50L as I measured one to buy another!). The first is my labour bag with everything for the birth & immediate aftermath (incl one baby outfit & a couple of nappies, my sponge bag, towel & pack of mat towels) and one post birth with the rest of the baby's kit, my going home outfit, the remainder of the nappies & more mat towels etc. and my hair dryer grin. Thanks to the person on here who suggested this approach (sorry I can't name check).

lilmishap Sat 25-May-13 21:56:53

I seem to have a LOT of baby clothes in mine. But Im clueless about sizes and dont know how big he is anyway. I remember taking loads of gumpf last time. They kept me in for a week (anaemia) and despite the two fairly big bags I DID have (complete with everything on every internet list ever), I had nothing to see me through the week, and got stuck in hospital gowns and disposable pants for days...

Thurlow Sat 25-May-13 22:00:27

I had about 4 bags! I definitely remember my handbag, a bag for my clothes and a bag for the baby's stuff. Ridiculous overkill.

I'd pack one weekend back that will do you for 1 night's stay, because hopefully that or less will be all you have. So snacks, clothes, wash stuff etc., a few outfits and a blanket for the baby. Then pack another bag at home with what you would need if you have to stay in for another few nights. I was in for 5 days, I had to get DP to get stuff for me, it was a disaster!

mrsyattering Sat 25-May-13 22:14:56

a carry on suitcase. one side for me one for baby. midwife did say us that all you've got? most people take far too much wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now