Talk

Advanced search

Caffeine...blah blah blah

(35 Posts)
AbiElizabeth Fri 24-May-13 16:23:58

I usually drink looooooads of tea (we're talking 6-7 cups a day) but since I found out I was pregnant I have stopped. I went to my Dads house today and I made us tea and he seemed shocked that I was drinking it. He told me I shouldn't drink even one cup of tea else i'll probably lose the baby. hmm

I know it was nonsense but I was wondering how many cups of tea is the limit. I think you can have 200mg of caffeine safely but I don't know how much is in a cup of tea.

Anyone got any idea.

rrreow Fri 24-May-13 16:28:09

Here you go

So you can safely have 2 cups of tea. I have one cup of caffeinated tea a day, and the rest of the time I drink camomile or fennel tea.

Being told you shouldn't drink tea or you'll lose your baby is not very helpful or nice sad

roofio87 Fri 24-May-13 16:32:35

I still have a cup of coffee every day, sometimes 2 as its instant and I have it quite week. people thinking they know 'the rules' when they don't is very annoying!! I've lost count of the times people have said 'oh you're eating prawns' to me. yes, I know they're cooked so they're fine!! angry

ComtessedeFrouFrou Fri 24-May-13 16:34:36

Yes, get used to people commenting on what you're eating.

I have found that I have gone off tea a bit (I didn't drink l

ComtessedeFrouFrou Fri 24-May-13 16:35:21

Yes, get used to people commenting on what you're eating.

I have found that I have gone off tea a bit (I didn't drink loads before) but Twinings Everyday Decaff is good.

AbiElizabeth Fri 24-May-13 16:39:34

Thanks for the link rreow I didn't realise chocolate had caffeine in sad So I have to give up the fags and the cider AND limit my chocolate intake? I'm yet to find the fun part of being pregnant haha!
My Dad always comments. I made him cakes for his party tonight and got a lecture about licking the bowl now im 'carrying a future rocket scientist' Do they think as soon as we get up the duff we're unable to think and lose our brains?

TripleRock Fri 24-May-13 16:42:03

My rule of thumb was 2 cups a day. But some days I have none or 1.

As you've got to take into account coke or chocolate as well.

lljkk Fri 24-May-13 16:54:50

I probably had about 4 mugfulls/day when I was pg with DS. He's 5yo now.

BraveLilBear Fri 24-May-13 17:05:23

Oh crap. I used to drink a lot of coffee, but first trimester put an end to that (major aversion).

I didn't used to drink tea at all, unless we went visiting DP's relatives, but did start drinking tea in the second trimester. I now have around 3-5 cups a day, but wasn't worried as had been told by a friend that her midwife had said you could comfortably have 6-8 cups of tea a day without worrying.

I'm now nearly 32 weeks. What damage have I done? Baby was measuring bang on for dates at last appointment (and those dates are a week ahead of my conception date) so I don't think size is an issue...

I could cry sad

ninjasquirrel Fri 24-May-13 17:11:48

IIRC, the advice says don't worry if you go over the limit as the risk isn't very great.

TinkyPeet Fri 24-May-13 17:18:41

Well, and yes feel free to shout at me if you wish, I have a coffee in my hand most of the day, lets round it to 8 cups a day (big cup, decent coffee) and I have a cup of tea, sometimes 2 (as my dh makes lovely tea) before I go to bed.
I have quit the fags though!

TinkyPeet Fri 24-May-13 17:19:35

Hmm. Actually I have started to add a cup of tea with my lunch aswell....

Bunnychan Fri 24-May-13 17:22:14

I drink decaf tea now and like it more than normal tea. But I do like a glass of coke and choccy in the evening too. Like everyone else says, you'll have a constant stream of what you should/should not be doing from others lol x

RJM17 Fri 24-May-13 17:23:54

Tetley decaf is really nice and that is what I drink now x

HumphreyCobbler Fri 24-May-13 17:27:15

Bravelilbear, I would not worry. You did not drink it at all in the first trimester and the NHS website says the risks are very small. The theoretical risk is of having a low birthweight baby. You can limit your intake now and I am sure you will be fine.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 24-May-13 17:28:33

I couldn't face caffeine in the first trimester, I now have two or three cups of instant coffee a day. I am normally a worrier about such things but I can't get too worked up about this one.

BraveLilBear Fri 24-May-13 17:30:23

Thanks... will be more vigilant going forwards. Think my aversions were a godsend really - and I can now tolerate nice decaff lattes again (yum)! So at least have other hot drinks to keep me amused.

Will just have to find something else to dip my evening biccies into...!

LouiseD29 Fri 24-May-13 17:33:54

I drink one or two cups of tea a day and most days eat some chocolate. No coffee though (just because I don't like it). More or less gave up caffeine in the first trimester but have decided not to stress about this particular 'rule'!

AbiElizabeth Fri 24-May-13 18:00:42

I'm not too worried about it to be honest. If I have more than i'm supposed to in a day then I wont freak out too much. It's hard enough giving up smoking so I can let myself off for having an extra cuppa now and then haha.

I have also just discovered I am using the wrong milk. I just use fresh semi skimmed milk but apparently this is completely wrong and I should be using UHT milk. ugh. That does not taste like milk at all.

Excited85 Fri 24-May-13 18:51:23

Ooh what's wrong with semi skimmed milk?!! I've knocked coffee on the head completely (decaf just isn't the same!) but have been having 2/3 cups of decaf tea a day which IMO doesn't taste any different at all smile

snickersnacker Fri 24-May-13 19:12:46

There's absolutely nothing wrong with semi-skimmed milk. The only milk to avoid is raw, or unpasteurised, milk.

BabyHMummy Fri 24-May-13 20:18:05

With everything else I have given up I am buggered if I am.giving up tea. Have switched to decaff but not really cut down..

HumphreyCobbler Fri 24-May-13 20:33:12

UHT - this is NOT TRUE.

AbiElizabeth Fri 24-May-13 20:33:17

Apparently I read the information wrong and semi skimmed milk is fine. Phew. There are so many do's and don't's it gets mighty confusing

mumoftwoboysS Fri 24-May-13 20:47:49

I went off coffee and tea a bit when I was first pregnant but now I'm on 1 small cup of coffee (decent) in the morning and 1-2 teas in the afternoon. Tried decaf but I'm almost asleep at lunchtime so need a pick me up!

i drank coffee and tea with both DS's and they both turned out fine! I'm a bit more relaxed this time round though DH does frown at me if I have too much!

I really don't think it's a problem unless you're chugging tons of strong coffee (perhaps not wise in early pregnancy due to the risks) and poor baby might be buzzing on it too! My SIL drank 4-5 strong coffees a day but I don't think they have this advice in Holland -she looked at me blankly when I mentioned it to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now