Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spatone and iron tablets

(10 Posts)
MisselthwaiteManor Fri 24-May-13 12:58:38

My iron was slightly low so midwife advised me to take two spatone a day. Her advice was that spatone works better than tablets but reading up on it it seems people rate the tablets better?

I don't think I have time to switch between the two (34 weeks) so I'm considering taking tablets on top of the spatone, has anyone done this? Can you OD on iron?

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 24-May-13 13:00:57

The reason I want to take both is because I've been on spatone for two weeks and feel no better.

newbie6 Fri 24-May-13 13:18:54

I took spatone as the tablets made me constipated, it took about 4 weeks to make a difference though. If you are ok on the tablets I think they are quicker at getting your levels up? Good luck

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 24-May-13 13:24:20

Spatone worked very well for me, I even continued taking them when baby was born. They do take a while to get into your system though. Iron tablets made me feel sick as a dog and constipated, so out of the two I much prefer Spatone.

lollypopsicle Fri 24-May-13 13:37:00

MW told me you can't od on iron. Other people I know have been told to take liquid iron supplements like floradix to quickly improve iron levels.

HopefullA Mon 27-May-13 13:25:01

Oh Spatone is my saving grace- put it in your OJ in the morn and you will be sorted and cant taste it either.

If you can stomach it Floradix is the best but its vile- bleugh

Vatta Mon 27-May-13 13:37:55

Sorry but you definitely CAN overdose on iron and it's very dangerous! You shouldn't mix spatone and tablets unless your doctor expressly tells you to.

Tablets tend to cause more side effects (eg constipation, nausea) than spatone. If you're still feeling tired after a couple of weeks of the spatone I'd ask the midwife for more advice.

Ilovestackingcups Mon 27-May-13 14:49:56

Floradix. Clothes peg over nose. Chase with orange juice.

Badgerwife Mon 27-May-13 21:22:21

Have you been prescribed iron tablets? If you haven't, then your iron can't be that low and I would keep on just taking Spatone. My midwife said it takes a couple of weeks or so to build up in your system so you wouldn't instantly feel better.

If you still don't feel you are improving, you should mention it to the midwife again so they can order a blood test to check your levels.

Longfufu Tue 28-May-13 07:49:52

The advise I got was to take 2 sparton, eat lots of leafy green veg, steak and cook as much as I could in cast iron pots. It worked a treat. Iron tablets are horrid, I've always refused to take them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now