Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Major placenta pravia

(12 Posts)
Babydx Fri 24-May-13 12:57:55

Hi, I got told I had placenta pravia at my 20 week scan and I was to be rescanned at 36 weeks not much information on it or anything just to abstain sexual intercourse. When I got home I did research and as partial placenta pravia was rescanned at 36 weeks and major was at 32-34 weeks I assumed I only had the partial placenta pravia but a couple weeks ago (31 week check up) my midwife checked my notes and told me I had complete covering os, which means major placenta pravia. I looked around the Internet and all major placenta pravia moms had early scans. So I was just wondering if anyone else with major placenta pravia also did not have another scan until 36 weeks and also is it a good sign its moved if I haven't had a bleed?

drcharliegirl Fri 24-May-13 13:37:16

Didn't want to leave you hanging.
If you have major placenta praevia you should have been referred to an obstetrician (midwife-led care is not appropriate here).
It's a good sign you've had no bleeding, but you need to speak to your midwife about getting an appointment with a consultant. If you're now 33 weeks this needs to be ASAP.
If you have ANY bleeding or contractions you must call labour ward and go straight in...
Good luck!

Babydx Fri 24-May-13 13:44:35

I keep speaking to my midwife but she just keeps saying everything is fine (heartbeat, movement and urine) and unless there is bleeding wait until the scan.

drcharliegirl Fri 24-May-13 13:50:01

I think I would encourage you to fight your corner here.
Your midwife cannot refuse to put you in touch with an obstetrician and if you truly have PP major then the obstetrician will want to know about it. Perhaps speak to the supervisor of midwives for your hospital?

It's really good news that baby is happy and all is well. The problem is that if bleeding starts it can rapidly become an emergency. You need to discuss your options now because if the placenta hasn't moved you will need a caesarian.

Good luck, and sorry you have this worry...

drcharliegirl Fri 24-May-13 13:57:53

Here is the NHS guidance for backup - you should have been scanned at 32 weeks if you truly have placenta covering the entire os

www.patient.co.uk/doctor/placenta-praevia

Babydx Fri 24-May-13 13:57:53

Thank you, I will be speaking with her and asking more questions.

Babydx Fri 24-May-13 14:02:23

That's why I was wondering if it was normal to treat as a normal pregnancy and only have a scan at 36 weeks unless bleeding occurs, and with little information I got when I was told I assumed it was an ok and only partial.

drcharliegirl Fri 24-May-13 14:05:07

Even if the midwife has misunderstood the US report, and you have a low-lying placenta rather than full Grade IV praevia, I think her mistake has caused enough anxiety that you should at least be offered a scan to make sure.
That's how I would play it, anyway... Good luck.

Foxeym Sat 25-May-13 09:32:35

This is weird, my friend at work had this (gave birth 2 weeks ago) and she was classed as high risk and had scans fortnightly until she went in for her CS??

kitkatsz23 Sat 25-May-13 12:47:59

Please go back and ask for a scan.I had a total placenta preavia at my 20weeks scan then I was rescanned at 32weeks when I was told it has moved but not enough for a natural delivery.Btw,the 32weeks scan is compulsory if you have a total placenta preavia!Then I was booked in for 36weeks scan.You should fight for a consultant appointment after your 32weeks scan just to see what your options are etc.I wasn't told this,guidance was very poor but I knew I had to ask for everything and not leave until I was seen and my questions were answered.Just like you I had no bleeds and it was all ok otherwise.At my 36weeks scan my placenta was 'borderline' and I was given a choice of natural or c-section delivery.Where I'm from this would have been a section without question so I opted for elcs.I now have a 5weeks old little girl and it's all wellgrin
Don't hesitate to be firm and ask for what you are entitled to,even if you are 'symptoms' free.Good luck!Feel free to message me if you have any questions.Oh,and take care of yourself-no cleaning,no sex,no gym,no lifting...

Peregrin Sun 26-May-13 16:52:39

Just to say that I was also diagnosed with complete placenta praevia and you are taking this so much more calmly than I did. Well done if you stayed away from Dr Google! smile

This seems to be one of those issues where the practice differs hugely across countries. In some places you'd be encouraged to go on bed rest regardless, in others (UK) they take a much more relaxed attitude.

If you have not been bleeding, there isn't a need to scan every two weeks, but when close to your due date (as you seem to be) it is necessary to have one at least so you can prepare for a c-section, if necessary. And given that you have questions and concerns that your midwife could not allay, I too would insist on seeing an obstetrician.

Good luck!

Peregrin Sun 26-May-13 16:54:19

Oh and also: I was told too to take it easy with physical activity (the way my doctor put it was "don't start doing high-impact aerobics", but I gather what this means is indeed not to lift, no gym, no sex etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now