Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-eclampsia any advice or experience?

(6 Posts)
LexiLexi Thu 23-May-13 15:43:48

Hi all,

I am 37 +2 and have pre-eclampsia (2+ protein and boarder line hypertension, average BP 138/88). Am going back to hospital tomorrow and have been advised that if my BP rises further that I will be booked for an induction.

It's my first baby and I am terrified at the thought of induction. Any help or advice much appreciated.

janey1234 Thu 23-May-13 15:58:26

No advice I'm afraid, but mind if I watch this thread too? My BP is higher than yours, but only 1+ protein last time so am being monitored closely.

The midwife did tell me that an elcs would be an option if things needed to happen sooner than expected - personally I'd think that was preferable, but I was considering one anyway.

The 'good' news is that you're at a stage where baby will be fine now, you're so close to your due date.

Good luck, and sorry I can't be of more help.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Thu 23-May-13 16:05:52

I have just come out of twice weekly monitoring (my BP was high but has come down since I finished work) so not in quite the same position, but my family has a strong history of pre-eclampsia to the point that none of my DM/ DSis' 9 pregnancies went to term. All resulted in healthy live births though, and none were CS of either type. IIRC my sisters were offered epidurals for induction, which they sometimes took and sometimes didn't.

FWIW my own birth plan says that if I have to be induced I want to be offered an epidural. My community MW has just accepted this without comment.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 23-May-13 16:06:43

My sis had it, the main thing is they've caught it and you're being monitored the danger to you and your baby comes when it goes undetected. Please try not to worry too much (not easy I know) you will get the help you need not long until you meet you're lovely bundle of joy smile good luck OP

Ezza1 Thu 23-May-13 18:27:31

I was induced with PE at 38 weeks with DC1. Took a lot of pessaries to get me started (this was 15 years ago) but labour from first contraction to baby was just under 1hr 30 mins No pain relief or intervention.

I was induced again more recently with DC3 (post term) - again it was quick, no pain relief and no intervention.

Currently pregnant with DC4 and I have no concerns if I require induction again.

Please try not to worry too much about being induced. And obviously with PE the safest thing for you and baby is ensuring a safe delivery by whichever method is appropriate. All the best!

saycheeeeeese Thu 23-May-13 18:33:27

I had PE with my DD, induced at 38wks, one gel and she was born within 12 hours of that first gel.
The only thing I didn't like was the fact tbat due to monitoring during labour I wad very restricted so I ended up with an epidural which they encouraged because I wss high risk of EMC and it can help lower your BP.

Go with the flow, not all inductions are horror stories, mine definitely wasn't. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now