Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bath or no bath

(9 Posts)
SeriousStuff Thu 23-May-13 09:46:03

Can anyone help confirm or deny whether baths are good or bad for you in pregnancy? I'm 19+5 today and really enjoying baths.

I'm not usually a bath person, but since I became bigger, I'm finding them very relaxing - I like my baths warm (there's no point having a tepid bath) but comfortable i.e. I'm not easing myself in inch by inch into scalding water. And when I lie in the bath, most of my bump is out of the water in Loch Ness monster style...

I have had a look on other threads on MN but can't really find conclusive answers - anyone?

Locketjuice Thu 23-May-13 09:47:20

I only have a bath.. So that's my answer smile

izchaz Thu 23-May-13 09:54:00

The idea is not to get too hot and cause blood to be diverted to the skin and away from the core (and placenta) in an effort to cool the body. It's also risky because vasodilation (reflexively enlarged blood vessels to bring blood to the surface for cooling) can cause your blood pressure to drop markedly, so you keel over when you stand, or plain pass ot in the bath. All of which can be avoided by not sitting in the bathing equivalent of lava! I would suggest topping up a normal warmish bath with hot water if it starts to get cold, and keeping a glass of cold water to swing from at intervals to bring your core temp down and bp up. Just try not to poach yourself basically!

Smitten1981 Thu 23-May-13 10:16:26

Baths are fine, I had the same worry and asked my midwife. Obviously don't have a boiling hot one.

joanna1990marie Thu 23-May-13 10:26:41

Im 38+6 and I've had baths the whole way through. Enjoy them. Like izchaz said, just not too hot.

SeriousStuff Thu 23-May-13 11:28:15

Great, thanks - really appreciate all your responses.

And I'm glad I don't have to give them up...

JanieLovesLuckySocks Thu 23-May-13 11:40:57

i had the same worry but i rang the midwife when i had some throbby pains and she told me to have a nice bath. everyone is right in that so long as it's not scalding hot, you;re fine. if you feel yourself getting too hot or even a little light headed, best to get out and shower yourself over with cooler water.

enjoy xx

MrsLianeB Thu 23-May-13 11:53:50

I enjoy the odd bath but only get one when my oh is about as I can't get out by myself + the fear of falling/slipping over!

Cavort Thu 23-May-13 11:58:09

I have a tendency to have a really hot bath so I bought a bath thermometer and keep the water around body temperature so I don't have to worry. It's not as hot as I would usually have it but it's still hot enough to enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now