Talk

Advanced search

Low iron levels

(12 Posts)
Muggle1978 Wed 22-May-13 18:20:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Badgerwife Wed 22-May-13 18:42:33

I've just created a thread on iron-deficiency (waiting for response too) before I saw yours so I'll just tell you my experience of the last couple of months.

Basically, take the iron tablets, Pregnacare and Spatone are not at all sufficient and won't make a dent in it. Iron CAN make you constipated but it's not automatic. Make sure that you take the tablets with orange or prune juice as it helps to absorb (and prune juice helps with possible constipation, although it tastes foul imo) and that you eat plenty of fibre, baked beans, wholemeal rice and bread, red meat, spinach

eltsihT Wed 22-May-13 18:50:47

Also if the tablets make you feel sick when you take them go back to the GP and ask for different one... I was on my third type before I found some that didn't make me vomit.

If you do get any constipation get lactulose from doctors too. I just needed to take 1 teaspoon in the mornings to help, it's better than piles later on believe me

Also read the leaflet, some iron tablets you need to be careful with when you take dairy/caffeine/anything that makes the morning bearable when you are on them.

Good luck!

Futterby Wed 22-May-13 19:01:10

I'm iron deficient. Just take the tablets, they're worth it. They make me constipated and nauseous but also much less tired and more alert. And your baby needs the iron!

Muggle1978 Wed 22-May-13 21:12:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

enormouse Wed 22-May-13 21:55:33

I was extremely low on iron with my DS and taking the tablets took me from about 7.0 to normal range (around 13 I think but I can't be sure, was nearly 2 years ago). I had to go back and get ferrous fumarate prescribed instead of ferrous sulphate. Badgerwife is right, spatone won't touch it. But try and get plenty of dietary iron too. I ate spinach and dried apricots like no one's business.

Teaandflapjacks Wed 22-May-13 22:19:44

You def should take them - your body creates a third more blood during pregnancy. You must take with vitamin C - Oj - to aid absorption. this also helps combat nausea. You can use things like flax seeds to stop being a bit 'bunged up'. The baby takes what they need first - you get what is left over. It can make your vomit more (i found this) if you are very low in it. I can't eat any meat due to preg. aversion and extreme MS throughout pg so far (although this is now once a week for a night..!) so I found taking first thing, with OJ worked best.

TheFalconsmistress Wed 22-May-13 22:20:36

The tablets will work but do make me constipated. Lots of friut juice helps. The tablets did not work for me but I seem to have an absorption problem. I ended up getting a iron transfusion. I have another 2 to get!

Mumoftaiba Wed 22-May-13 22:34:44

I have been anemic most of my life and iron tabs don't work for me to.
Falcon; can I ask how was the iron transfusion and the process because my drs are currently looking at that for me. Thanks smile

TheFalconsmistress Wed 22-May-13 22:42:34

The transfusion was fine mumoftabitha just given the same way as blood. Its the colour of Coke! Its takes about 7 hours to do though sad

EmpressofGirton Mon 27-May-13 13:26:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

notspringchicken Mon 27-May-13 21:09:34

Before I got pregnant I had problems with seriously low iron (hair was falling out and was having chest pain every day) I took Ferrograd C for three months and made a huge difference. I've never taken it whilst pregnant so don't know if it's suitable - but maybe worth asking the doc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now