Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

iron-deficiency at 36 weeks and worried about birth

(9 Posts)
Badgerwife Wed 22-May-13 18:11:34

I'm coming up to 36 weeks and have been diagnosed with anaemia for about a month and a half. I have been taking ferrous fumagate twice a day and despite this I've gone from 10g to 10.2g in that time. I'm now also taking Spatone twice a day on top. I'm due another blood test at 38 weeks and hopefully I will have picked up a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone had given birth whilst anaemic and how that went, and if anyone had any advice, especially with regards to diet after the birth.

I'm quite worried because although I was not diagnosed with anaemia last time around my energy levels were very low for about two weeks after the birth to the point that I couldn't even eat more than a couple of mouthfuls at meal times. I'm considering taking protein shakes alongside normal food if I have the same experience.

beckie90 Wed 22-May-13 18:58:42

I would think you should be on more tablets, I've been anemic in all my pregnancys was diagnosed at week 28 I was also given ferous fumigate and was instructed to take 4 tablets a day, my levels were not much lower than yours. They got back up to 12.5 before the birth of my children, but I lost a lot of blood with ds1 during birth and my level went back down to 5.5 which wasn't very nice. I would definatly speak to your gp about your options x

squidgeberry Wed 22-May-13 19:16:01

10.2 is not that bad, I wouldn't worry. Personally I can't tolerate iron supplements at all (have tried the lot), and spatone etc don't seem to raise my levels significantly. Mine are around 9.1 at the moment.

From what I understand, you are no more likely to bleed during labour as anyone else, however if you do have a bleed you are likely to be worse affected as your iron will drop again, plus your blood doesnt clot as well as normal.

Have you had your ferritin level checked? Or just Hb? If the latter then it may not necessarily mean you are deficient, just that your blood is more diluted. Ferritin shows how much iron you have stored in your body, and if this is normal then you aren't actually deficient.

Badgerwife Wed 22-May-13 20:03:21

I think just Hb, I didn't realise there was anything else to check and they don't tend to give you information unless you ask!

I'm not worried about bleeding more but yes, it affects me quite badly. I've been lightheaded and queasy on and off for a while now and given past experience (can't give blood as it takes me 2 days to recover - and the previous labour) I can't help but be a little worried.

squidgeberry Wed 22-May-13 20:27:35

They checked mine after two blood tests came back low and my ferritin level was only 6 - it's meant to be above 20. However I haven't really had any symptoms this time around. My last pregnancy I was also anaemic and I felt terrible, but my levels are lower now than then and I feel ok.

Food wise, eat plenty of red meat like liver if you can, after the birth, along with leafy greens and vitamin c rich foods. Avoid tea coffee and milk near mealtimes as they will stop you absorbing iron. Snacks like apricots or almonds are good. Not sure about protein shakes as they may contain dairy? This could prevent you from absorbing the iron you eat. Floradix is a herbal iron liquid which is good.

Hope things go well for you

Badgerwife Wed 22-May-13 20:39:00

Thanks, I'll check Floradix

FoofFighter Wed 22-May-13 20:41:15

Liver not good in pregnancy, Vit A overload.

Badgerwife Wed 22-May-13 21:27:39

to be honest, I'm not likely to ever eat liver <boak>

squidgeberry Wed 22-May-13 22:12:56

That's why I said after the birth! Although I don't think occasional liver consumption is that bad, it's the synthetic vitamin a found in vitamin pills which can cause problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now