Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby not engaged

(12 Posts)
forgetmenots Wed 22-May-13 09:29:05

I'm 37 weeks and baby's head is still completely free (it's my first baby).

Going back in a week to see if there's been any change and will keep up my exercises, but what happens next? Do they bide their time and hope for the best? Can't imagine being induced with a baby bobbing around will be much use...

MrsBri Wed 22-May-13 09:58:26

Forget, it seems acrobats like to be free. I'm a week behind and baby is still free. I think playing is more important to this one.

I'd be interested in the answers too. Think I'll have to start bouncing on my ball though.

CallTheDoula Wed 22-May-13 10:24:57

Still quite early yet. Things you can do now to encourage your baby into an optimal position is to not spend too much time sitting or slumped back in an armchair or sofa. Good positions are ones that are upright, forward & open (think UFO!) so you could kneel down leaning forwards over a coffee table or birth ball while watching TV in the evening. Also sleeping on your left side

jumperooo Wed 22-May-13 10:27:30

You can still be induced with the head not engaged, happened to me. they will just monitor the baby throughout and if there's a risk of cord prolapse they may do a c section. There's another thread about this in childbirth, but chances are head will engage before or whilst in labour

joanna1990marie Wed 22-May-13 10:47:49

At 37 weeks my baby was still free when I went to get monitored for reduced movement, she was fine btw, then at my scheduled mw appointment at 37+5 she was 3/5. Got my 38+5 mw appointment today so hopefully 0/5!! Wouldn't worry too much, there's only 1 way out! X

forgetmenots Wed 22-May-13 10:53:27

Jumperoo that's good to know, so much conflicting advice out there.

MrsBri smile definitely! I'm on my ball as I type... Initially got it for turning baby, now want he/she to move down!

Thanks for the responses, Joanna it's good to know they can engage so quickly - and doula those are the exercises I'm doing, hoping they work so much! smile

snozzlemaid Wed 22-May-13 12:01:00

Head wasn't engaged for my ds the day before I went into labour.

eltsihT Wed 22-May-13 14:00:46

I posted yesterday about being 41weeks and baby not engaged, getting induced on Friday,

My midwife didn't seem worried just said, a few contractions will sort that out.

jumperooo Wed 22-May-13 14:39:04

My advice would be to put off induction for another five days if you can, my babies head wasn't engaged and I had a bad delivery, it was a struggle to get her out and a fair bit of damage was caused.I am now sure she wasn't ready to come out, I wish I had known there was the option of delaying induction

forgetmenots Wed 22-May-13 15:21:28

Good to know that's what to expect eltsihT. Are you in Scotland?

Jumperoo, that's what I'm afraid of, baffles me why in that case they wouldn't go for a section (unless of course you were against it which is completely your choice)

Snozzle - hoping mine has a similar change of heart smile

eltsihT Wed 22-May-13 16:20:26

yes I am in Scotland, I am going in on Friday, hoping baby has engaged, i was induced last pregnancy at 40+14 and had no problems (2 hour labour after pessary 9lb 9 baby) so nt to worried about inductions

if baby is not engaged I will have a very frank discussion with the consultant about risks etc (risk of cord prolapse in particular) - thanks mumsnet! Before myself and hubby decide what is best, really not keen on the idea a section but quite fed up of waiting.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Wed 22-May-13 16:24:14

Neither of mine were engaged at appointments just before labour (day before with DD2, a couple of days before with DD1 I think). I think it's oversold as a sign things are about to happen. There are lots of little things that they like to tell you to feel like you're getting information, but the truth is no one knows until it kicks off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now