Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heartburn from hell. What can I do?

(22 Posts)
cupcake78 Tue 21-May-13 20:09:07

I've taken my full allowance of meds for this today but I'm feeling very sick and sore.

Apart from the normal eating less, keeping upright, avoiding certain foods what else can I do/take to help hmm

Chocotrekkie Tue 21-May-13 20:10:33

Ive heard that dry bread is supposed to help soak up the acid.

cupcake78 Tue 21-May-13 20:11:44

Off I go to the bread bin to try it. Ill give anything a go tonight.

Rubysmommy Tue 21-May-13 20:13:10

Milk helped me smile I feel for you - it's awful!

cupcake78 Tue 21-May-13 20:14:47

Off I go to the bread bin to try it. Ill give anything a go tonight.

cupcake78 Tue 21-May-13 20:17:12

The bread has helped the acid bit until the burps being it back? Next I will try sipping milk! When I can be bothered to go back into the kitchen.

Lydia161290 Tue 21-May-13 21:50:30

I had terrible heartburn a few days ago, it bloody hurt. Anyway. I had some Gaviscon, drank milk, got some milky lolly ices (mini milks) and waited it out. They worked!

roofio87 Tue 21-May-13 22:29:21

what meds are you on? mine easy terrible, I cried at the doctors it was so bad and he prescribed me omprezole capsules. one a day and I haven't had even the slightest hint of heart burn for the last 3 weeks!! its been my savior!!

Fakebook Tue 21-May-13 22:49:56

Hot hot hot milk used to help me when pregnant with ds.

MrsMarigold Tue 21-May-13 22:52:20

Omeprazole was the only thing that worked for me - without it I had to sleep in a chair otherwise I just vomited.

Madamecastafiore Wed 22-May-13 06:24:06

Natural yogurt. Milk is acidic so you shouldn't drink it with reflux it's just the coldness that cons you into thinking its helping.

Steer clear of orange, tomatoes, pastry, fatty food. Eat little and often so your stomach has something to work on all of the time. Tonic water good too as quinine helps.

I had it horrendously with both DCs. Lowest point was being found naked kneeling infront of the loo peeing myself each time I heaved up more acid. I had a voice like a man too from acid burned throat. Poor little Indian doctor was bloody shocked at that sight I can tell you.

This time I said I would prefer morning sickness to reflux. I have been granted all day sickness instead!!! hmm

cupcake78 Wed 22-May-13 08:18:02

The milk did help but again not for long. I'm just taking Rennies but think I need to up the anti a bit more! Fizzy water/tonic does seen to ease it slightly. Morning time in ok its as the day goes on. Never had this with ds so its all new.

I've got HG as well so the nausea is a mixture of both. Only 5 weeks till due date thank goodness so at worst I have 7 weeks left.

MyNameIsSuz Wed 22-May-13 08:28:24

Double action gaviscon helped me, the one in the pink bottle. I had them all over the house and was just swigging straight from the bottle by the end. Much better than rennies! Also ice cream and thick milkshake like frijj helped me a lot.

Primrose123 Wed 22-May-13 08:32:22

I find milk and dry cream crackers work for me.

upanddown83 Wed 22-May-13 09:13:03

I have also been drinking double action gaviscon 2x500ml bottles a week! I have also started drinking peppermint tea after I eat and find it helps keep the acids at bay!
HTH

Fakebook Wed 22-May-13 09:46:25

I suffered terribly with DS and did a lot of research about heartburn when pregnant. I once found a website which gave a list of acidic and alkaline foods. I tried to avoid the acidic foods, like plums and caffeine, but some are harder to avoid like onions or tomatoes (I use in cooking everyday). If you google acidic foods and heartburn you should find a list somewhere. I'm still a believer in the hot milk though.

cupcake78 Wed 22-May-13 10:51:32

I've never been so excited at the prospect if drinking liquid gavisconblush

Wish my lunch break would hurry up so I can go and buy some.

Will look into foods. All I want to eat is raspberries, apples, cherry tomatoes and Bombay mix. Im resisting all of them. Dh taking me out for child free tea tonight as well. He's really excited about the pre baby adult night bless him. Im hoping its not all rich and fatty stuff.

itsonlyapapermoon Thu 23-May-13 01:07:16

Have you tried a bit of bicarb in water? I remember with my other 3 drinking that disguting chalky liquid mylanta with a water chaser. Sometimes I'd just put up with the heartburn so I didn't have to take it! This time round I'm only early in (8 weeks) but the few times I've had heartburn I've had the bicarb and water and it helps. Just make sure you burp after you take it haha smile

GoodbyePorkPie Thu 23-May-13 01:40:48

Omaprazole. Saved my life. Before that I kept Gaviscon in my handbag and was necking it straight from the bottle.

GoodbyePorkPie Thu 23-May-13 01:42:16

Steer clear of bicarb soda - it's very high in sodium.

cupcake78 Thu 23-May-13 01:43:06

I've cold tonic seems to help but drinking gaviscon is the most relief I e had in weeks!

Thinking of trying to get it on prescription as if baby is over due I could have another 7 weeks of this hmm

BraveLilBear Thu 23-May-13 12:46:26

Feeling your pain cupcake - literally. Awful night last night (ran out of gaviscon Tuesday dammit), feel on fire at the mo.

About to limp off to find some lunch but don't actually fancy any food, it's that bad!

I'm definitely remembering to beg for some help from mw at 32 week appointment next week stupid baby brain made me forget last time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now