Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Private gender scans....worth it??

(27 Posts)
RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 18:21:43

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had paid to have a gender scan before their twenty week one?
I have received an e mail today offering me one and I am very tempted as I am dying to know what we are having. But I just don't know if I'm wasting money because I'm impatient so wondered if anyone else had done this x

2Labradors Tue 21-May-13 18:33:33

I will watch this thread with interest as I've been thinking about going for one before the 20 week scan. I've looked into it and one place offers sexing scan from 16 weeks.

I'm 12 weeks at the moment.

5madthings Tue 21-May-13 18:35:29

I had a gender scan but at 26wks, we had been told the gender at 20wk scan but didn't believe it so had a scan to check, still didn't believe it till baby was actually born tho, girl after four boys!

Runswithsquirrels Tue 21-May-13 18:46:37

We had a scan as a check up at 16 weeks after a scare and the NHS not being able to scan for a week. We found out the sex then and just as well because at the NHS twenty week scan they couldn't say for sure. The clarity of the screen is incomparable.

Christelle2207 Tue 21-May-13 18:54:52

Not a gender scan but I had a private early scan at 8 weeks nd it was worth every penny to not wait another five weeks to know that all was well. I'm 29 weeks now and considering going back to check all is well again. Everyone says it is and I can feel him moving around but seems unlikely i will get another nhs scan now and I want to see him again! Also my mum is convinced he will be breech ( I was and she had a very traumatic birth as a result), by 35 ish weeks it should be clear how he's sitting!

YoniRanger Tue 21-May-13 18:58:57

My private scan was amazing. Half an hour of detailed description and they found the gender. I would recommend to anyone.

2Labradors Tue 21-May-13 19:01:41

yoni how many weeks were you at your private scan?

RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 19:04:25

I am 14 weeks now and was thinking of having it at 16 weeks as my nhs scan isn't until 21 weeks and 4 days which seems like ages away!!
The place does them for £40 which doesn't seem bad just need to convince my DH now xx

willoughboobs Tue 21-May-13 19:07:12

I have got one booked for Thursday, I will be 16 + 2 and we cannot wait until our 20 week scan. grin

It's costing us £50 for a 2d scan which we don't think is a huge amount at all.
I will be 21 weeks when I go in for my 20 week scan and to us that I star too long to wait.

Cavort Tue 21-May-13 19:09:54

We paid for a gender scan at 17 weeks. It was a complete contrast to the NHS scan which is purely for medical reasons and just involved us getting a quick glimpse of baby. The private scan was 30 mins of pure indulgence for the parents. You lie on a nice comfy bed with cushions while nice relaxing music plays and there is an absolutely massive screen in front of you showing everything the sonographer sees. They scanned baby and explained in loads of detail and were happy to go over something again at the parents request. They then asked if we wanted them to turn the 3D on (along with a warning that at 17 weeks the baby can look quite skeletal), but we couldn't resist so we spent the last few minutes having a look in 3D which was lovely as she didn't look skeletal at all. We were given about 10 x 2D photos and 2 x 3D photos at the end of it. Personally I would highly recommend.

beckie90 Tue 21-May-13 19:16:33

I had one at 16wk exactly and I actually cried cause I only saw the baby for 5 mins when scan said 15, it was just really rushed and the pictures I got was rubbish, not to mention my 20wk scan come through after that and it was booked in for 3wks after my gender scan x

willoughboobs Tue 21-May-13 19:18:15

Has anyone had one with reassur3d?

RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 19:20:05

beckie did you manage to find out what you were having though? X

WentOnABearHunt Tue 21-May-13 19:25:56

We had a gender scan at 16 weeks - was great. really enjoyed our experience smile considering going back for a 4D one later on smile

beckie90 Tue 21-May-13 19:52:05

Boy although it wasn't good cause baby had legs tightly crossed and together he just said he saw what looked like a boy. I felt uncertain and would have waited for my hospital scan if I could choose again or gone with babybond as you get much more for money than at the one I went with

RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 20:10:49

I don't think I can convince DH as he would rather wait so there is something to look forward to further along. I'm a bit gutted but never mind x

ILiveInAPineappleCoveredInSnow Wed 22-May-13 20:43:33

I am going for one on Saturday when I will be 16 weeks exactly. We were going to wait for the 20 week anomaly scan, but I'm impatient and my DH has just been through a really tough time medically so it's something nice for us to look forward to!

Hopingforno2 Wed 22-May-13 22:01:08

I had one at 16 weeks with dc2 as really wanted to know it was with babybond who i cant reccomend highly enough. I had a 4d scan with them for ds and both gender and 4d with dd. I was glad id went for my gender scan with them as at my 20 week scan the sonographer only had a very quick look and said prob girl when i asked (wanting to be sure before i went pink crazy lol) whereas babybond took their time and said she was at least 90% sure it was a girl and they were rarely wrong. When it came to my 4d scan dd was in an awful position breech hands and feet up at face and the lovely sonographer got me to come back 3 times even though you are only meant to get 1 rescan brill service. I emailed them and said id booked for a 4d later in preg could they do me a deal to have a gender at 16 weeks and they done gender for half price smile

Smitten1981 Wed 22-May-13 22:08:31

I had a baby bond gender scan and it was well worth the money. We were talked through everything on screen and it was so much clearer than the NHS one. We got loads of pics and a DVD. I would thoroughly recommend one if you have the cash.

BikeRunSki Wed 22-May-13 22:13:31

We had a Babybond 3D gender scan at 22 weeks because DH really wanted to know, and NHS anomaly scan was inconclusive on gender and not preared to spend any longer on it (fair enough). It was a very relaxing half hour or so, the sonographer showed us what she was looking at, what it all showed etc and they were happy for 2 yo DS to play with their big basket of toys.

TinkyPeet Wed 22-May-13 22:29:59

Wait the extra 4 weeks and put the money into a pot towards a 4d scan at around 29 weeks, if you can't wait 4 weeks now the wait between 20wk scan and birth will be horrendous for you! X

curiousgeorgie Thu 23-May-13 08:28:56

With both babies going for the gender scan was 100% the best day of the whole pregnancy.

It was lovely and detailed, the sonographer took pictures close up of hands and feet which look so good, the clarity of the pictures are so much better than NHS.

We were hoping for a girl, and when this was confirmed I cried smile I was 16 weeks exactly both times and had them at babybond.

And it was a good thing I did because at my 20 week scan the sex wasn't immediately obvious so they moved on.

After we found out we went to mothercare and bought little pink bits and pieces, it was so utterly lovely.

Do it, you won't regret it.

curiousgeorgie Thu 23-May-13 08:30:05

Oh yes, and we could take our DD to the second scan and the sonographer spent ages getting a good baby profile so she could see her sister smile

Yonididnaedaethat Thu 23-May-13 08:52:37

My hospital doesn't tell you the gender so I went with Babybond to find out what I was having at 16 weeks, I was told that it was a boy but the lady was 100% sure so booked me back in at 18 weeks free of charge. I'm pregnant again and have one booked for next Saturday, so excited and hope baby is showing his/her privatessmile. I think £79 is quite pricey but its the only option.

Midori1999 Thu 23-May-13 09:06:07

I had a scan at 16+2 as I couldn't wait the whole two weeks for my anomaly scan which was at 18+2....

It was ok, but I didn't really want 4D used and the sonographer did it without asking or even mentioning it, which annoyed me a bit. I didn't feel like it was good value, the sonographer didn't really explain much at all and I wasn't convinced she was convinced on gender either...

I found my NHS anomaly scan was much better, although admittedly better than any other NHS/anomaly scan I've had. The sonographer was friendly and very enthusiastic and showed me everything and explained what was there and what they were looking for. He showed and explained all the parts of the heart, the brain, even the kidneys. He also confirmed the gender and it was quite obvious. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now