Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NCT classes

(11 Posts)
whiterose2011 Tue 21-May-13 17:40:33

Does anyone know how much NCT antenatal classes cost? The one I am looking at is 3 evenings and 1 Sunday.

Also, for those that did them, were they worth the money? This is DC1 so I'm a bit clueless!

Thanks smile

islingtongirl Tue 21-May-13 17:44:59

I think I'm paying about 340, incl membership. Two days 10.00-4.30 over a weekend then following Sunday few hours breast feeding session just for women. Going mid/end June so can't tell you yet if worth it but I hope so! Was actually a bit more expensive than I thought it would be but guess had no idea what to expect!

islingtongirl Tue 21-May-13 17:46:02

I lie! Am paying just under 300, just checked

Littlemissexpecting Tue 21-May-13 18:36:47

We paid 250 for 8x 2 hour sessions. If I remember they are charged by the hour. Definitely worth it imo

farmersdaughter Tue 21-May-13 18:46:03

Worth it for the friends you will make for sure.

Might be worth finding out how is your local NCT is and contacting them directly and ask to pay privately but attend with a group. That's what one of our girls did. Works out cheaper too.

tequilacream Tue 21-May-13 18:57:50

We were told £255 incl. £40 for membership: 3 sessions together with DH and 2 women only.

CallTheDoula Tue 21-May-13 19:15:13

Hello, it depends which area you're in - here's a link to the NCT page on prices: http://www.nct.org.uk/courses/course-prices They are priced per hour and some courses are shorter than others. The ones I do in Tunbridge Wells are 18hrs long - 14hrs antenatal, 2hrs breastfeeding & then a 2 hr reunion once the babies are all born. Concessions are available and you can also pay in agreed instalments. You don't have to become a member to take the classes. Some courses are traditional 8 week (2hrs once a week) some are intensive (all day Sat/Sun) - depends on the teacher. Lots of people make friends for life through their NCT classes! Also, of course, you should come away with an understanding of your choices for labour, birth & early parenting and with the evidence-based information you need to make informed decisions regarding those choices depending on what's right for you and your family. Hope that helps!

piprabbit Tue 21-May-13 19:21:09

Definitely worth it. Phone them and ask - if you talk to them, they have been known to accept payment by installments or (for those on certain benefits) much reduced charges.

YBR Tue 21-May-13 19:43:45

While there are some NHS antenatal classes, there is very little funding. I think we were offered 1 hour at the local surestart with the community MW or slightly longer (2 hours IIRC) at the hospital which would be cancelled if they were busy, and didn't allow you to see the labour ward.

NCT would definitely give you a better chance to learn and understand and ask questions. I have heard some of the NCT tutors have more of an agenda than others but we had no problem there.
As it happened we've not stayed in touch with the other families, we didn't have enough in common, so don't rely on that making it worth it.

coolpink101 Wed 22-May-13 08:25:52

Me and my DH went on a short course with nct (five 2hr sessions plus a 2hr reunion) which cost £110 (not including membership). We had already done the free nhs classes so thought a short course would be fine. It was much more practical and helpful than the nhs classes (where the mw couldnt be bothered to do any practical stuff and tried to get the sessions finished asap).
The biggest benefit of nct is the friendships you make - it was so helpful to meet up with other mums to be before the birth and then swap stories/experiences/problems after the birth - it has been a lifesaver for me. If you can afford it, go for it imo!

LostMySocks Wed 22-May-13 08:41:39

I've just booked ours. Cost just under £300 for 2 Saturdays and 2 2 hour weeknight sessions.
We're moving just before I have the baby so hopefully it'll help me to get to know some people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now