Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with clothes at 18 weeks

(12 Posts)
Scraggyspanner Tue 21-May-13 11:01:11

Hello all,

Is anyone else struggling with clothes? I'm 18 weeks with pretty much no defined bump but quite a lot of bloating and my stomach is definitely bigger than it was.

I was a size 12 pre pregnancy but even 14s are really uncomfortable, baby doesn't seem to like anything putting pressure on him.

Maternity stuff is still way too big given the lack of bump.

How are others coping? Advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Bunnylion Tue 21-May-13 11:09:31

At this stage I stuck to leggings and tunics or just stretchy dress in a size up.

It's a pain to buy new stuff when you won't need them for long, so look on Ebay. Luckily for me, my mum is a size bigger than me and had lots of lovely clothes that I could borrow smile

Smitten1981 Tue 21-May-13 11:09:53

I'm 18 weeks too. I'm wearing lots of dresses and leggings and a cardi as anything with a waistband, like jeans, gives me heartburn.

Get some floaty and cheap New Look dresses, they're what are keeping me going at the moment.

RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 11:21:20

I am only 14 weeks but already have a bump and l

RJM17 Tue 21-May-13 11:22:47

I am only 14 weeks but already have a bump and look a lot further along than that.
I have just been living in leggings / jeggings and loose tops or vests and cardigans. But think I am going to be able to but some maternity stuff now as I do have a defined bump lol x

Fairydogmother Tue 21-May-13 12:23:09

i'm 16+2 and ive got 3 pairs of maternity jeggings which i live in!

i got 2 pairs in mamas and papas sale and the other pair came from h&m. i honestly adore them

lockie1983 Tue 21-May-13 12:49:10

I remember it well !! I got some maternity jeans from H+M (on offer £20), a few maternity vests from topshop (£6 each) + a pair of maternity leggings from asda (£5) at 16 weeks and am literally still wearing them now (33 weeks).

I think 15 weeks of wear, considering the amount I worn it all (mixed in with my normal cardis / tunics / a line stuff made it an investment that I would make all over again.

I would advise getting a bit of proper maternity stuff (staples that you will wear a lot, like jeans, if money is tight) because there is no substitute for things that feel like they fit properly.

You'll be surprised how the maternity things fit you once you start trying bits on, even without a bump. In fitted vests etc, your normal size should be just right.

When I wear loose-fitting, normal clothes (or in a bigger size up) - which I do quite a lot, I always feel a bit scruffy and like it doesn't quite fit properly. Straps slope off shoulders, puckers a bit around the bump, gets twisted etc

BentleyBelly Tue 21-May-13 14:14:51

Try over the bump maternity jeans....very comfy even with a little bump. I like h and m ones. Layering long vest tops under normal baggier tops is also good, again h and m do cheap non maternity ones. I have a couple of empire line dresses that are brilliant too.

LostMySocks Tue 21-May-13 15:03:34

I'm 20 weeks and just getting a bit of a tummy. Can squeeze into normal jeans but they are a bit tight. Bought some side elastic panel under bump boot cut jeans from mamas and papa on sunday. They're really comfy and there is an extra elastic exPander thing on each side. I have on tightest setting and they fit really well. DH says look just like normal ones. £40 but I wear casual for work so need a few different options. DH is very keen on me getting clothes that make me look and feel good......on his credit card

Scraggyspanner Tue 21-May-13 15:54:04

Thanks all.

BentleyBelly , probably a silly question, but what do I do with the over the bump bit on over the bump trousers with no real bump to pull it over? I've been tempted by these trousers, but the bump bit is just big and flappy and I'm not sure what to do with it...?

ChunkyPickle Tue 21-May-13 16:02:01

I actually bought a pair of maternity jeans this time round, but have gone back to my normal jeans, undone (half zipped) with a hair elastic around the button to keep them together.

Then I wear a long vest - but I'll probably cut off a t-shirt to make a bump band (since I can't bear to pay 15 quid for a small tube of fabric)

Last pregnancy I was totally skint, so actually never bought any maternity wear at all - just kept doing that then towards the end (horror of horrors) clipped on some braces

lockie1983 Tue 21-May-13 21:19:33

I tucked the over the bump bit under my bra when I was still small blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now