Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

this pregnancy is ao different from my last. any ideas why?

(6 Posts)
amie28 Mon 20-May-13 20:05:38

Now I might be ranting to myself but this pregnancy feels so different from my last and all I keep doing is worrying. My last pregnancy was nearly 4 years ago and I wouldn't of known I was even pregnant I had no morning sickness infact I had no symptoms but this time I'm only 6 weeks having a lot of discomfort in my stomach, constipation, sore boobs, itchy legs and a lot of wind keep feeling very tierd and very teary and peeing every 5 minutes I'm also already getting fat put an inch on already.

Do you think it could just be that I'm 4 years older ?
or could it be a girl (had a boy before) also twins run in my partners family so could it b ?

dizzy77 Mon 20-May-13 20:13:42

I'm experiencing the same, now 38wks w dc2. Everything has been so different - last pg 2 years ago an absolute breeze, barely even noticed it to the third trimester and even then once I packed in work still pretty lively. This time I've had sickness, a shortened cervix with increased risk of pre-term delivery which has led to 2 weekly scans since wk 21 (yay though that I've to term now), pelvic pain and other things making continuing as normal with my pretty active un-pregnant life more difficult.

I'm putting some of it down to being a little older (I'm approaching 36) which bumps up all the figures used to calculate risk, and others down to the fact that with a 2yo DS, I just can't rest or look after myself (working out etc) to the same degree so whilst I was in pretty good shape pre-pg, I wasn't at my fittest. I've also had to adjust my expectations all the way through: whereas first time round, I had no idea what to expect, this time I thought I did but its all been different. I'm trying hard to keep this in mind for delivery too: that was pretty straightforward last time but of course after the pg, all bets are off now!

atrcts Mon 20-May-13 22:16:40

My first pregnancy was a dream apart from swollen legs and stomach at the end.

This pregnancy I've had all day and all night sickness for 16 weeks, SPD, bleeding for months on end, bladder infection and irritable uterus where I contract every 3 minutes (day and night) but don't actually go into labour properly!

Both pregnancies I carried boys so nothing to do with the sex! I've heard that each pregnancy can be very different, just as the birth can be, but I had no idea how much different!

Maybe it's just as well it's harder second time round as I might not have wanted to be pregnant again with so many symptoms first time!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 20-May-13 22:29:01

My 1st was symptomless and easy. 5 years later not so. I do wonder if being 5 years older doesn't help, am 36 now.

First pregnancy was DS, this one is a DD, which could explain the sickness this time.

Hope you feel better soon.

ShowOfHands Mon 20-May-13 22:35:08

Won't be anything to do with the sex of the baby.

Everything's different. Different babies, different maternal age, different demands on your body (already have a child), uterus has expanded before so tends to be more efficient (you show earlier for example), hormone levels can vary wildly between pregnancies, corpus luteum can vary in size and efficiency, placenta attaches in a different place and on and on and on. I've had two successful pregnancies. One was symptom free and easy, one was marked by terrible morning sickness and awful back problems.

beckie90 Mon 20-May-13 22:36:38

I'm having my 3rd, first pregnancy easy, second horrible, 3rd hourendous. Morning sickness galore, migraines, heartburn for first time in my life, dizzy, tired all time....it goes on. I'm having my 3rd boy, and they couldn't have been any more different from each other. No pregnancy is the same really. Was 17 with my first, 20 with my second and I'm 22 now, but feel about 80 lol.

Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now