Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to have a sweep?

(6 Posts)
ButteryJam Mon 20-May-13 17:44:53

Hi all,

Currently I am 39 + 3.

My midwife thinks I should have a sweep when I next see her, which due to it being bank holiday is at 41 weeks.

Consultant thinks I should have a sweep on my due date at 40 weeks (to avoid induction she said), and should book that in with the midwife.

What do you ladies suggest I do?

thanks in advance!

squidgeberry Mon 20-May-13 17:55:51

Sweeps are more effective if given when you're further along as you are more likely to be ready. I just had one at 40 + 7 and another today at 40 + 9.

You may well go into labour on your own before the 41 week one anyway

ButteryJam Mon 20-May-13 20:53:41

Squidge, thank you! Did it pain?

ButteryJam Tue 21-May-13 17:34:19

I just want to bump this to get other's opinions ...

CallTheDoula Tue 21-May-13 19:27:23

Sweeps will really only work if your body & baby are ready to go into labour anyway. In my opinion 40 weeks is way too early - remember it's only an ESTIMATED due date. Only 4% of babies arrive on their estimated due date, most come at some point 2 weeks either side and some later.

squidgeberry Wed 22-May-13 19:25:07

They are uncomfortable but not painful, was in mild pain afterwards but nothing paracetomol didn't cure. Neither worked though and have a "final last ditch attempt at avoiding induction" sweep booked tomorrow

Go for a brisk walk immediately afterwards, this is meant to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now