Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Uterine Haematoma?

(12 Posts)
greenlizard Mon 20-May-13 12:42:29

I am now 7+4 and started bleeding last weekend. I went to my GP who referred me to the EPU for an early scan last week for a threatened miscarriage.

I was thrilled to see that we have a baby of the right size, in the right place with a visible heart beat (because I had convinced myself I was miscarrying at this point - burst into very noisy tears when I saw the scan - poor sonographer had to calm me down smile) I was diagnosed as having a haematoma which was the source of my bleeding. I was told that it carries a greater risk of miscarriage but that the majority of these cases resolve themselves either by "bleeding out" or being re absorbed by the body. They asked me to come back for another scan in two weeks to see what has progressed.

I am still spotting brown blood a week on and am starting to panic a bit...

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated.

littletingoddess Mon 20-May-13 12:49:12

I didn't want to read and run, and hopefully someone will have more useful info than me. However, I would have thought that brown blood would be less of a concern than bright red blood (unless you have been told otherwise). When I think brown blood I tend to think 'old' blood, ie it's just taken a bit longer to pass. I would suggest giving your health professional a ring so they can put your mind at ease.

emzypoo Mon 20-May-13 13:14:53

Hello I can't really give any advice except my sister had this when she fell pregnant with her 2nd daughter and she is now a noisy ten year old. I wish u all the best and positive thoughts. Emma x

plentyofsoap Mon 20-May-13 13:22:25

Hi, i am 12 weeks now and had a huge bleed around 7 weeks. Had a scan and they found a haematoma around 2cm. I continued to bleed (brown) blood for just over two weeks. I was told to expect bleeding for 2 weeks after, but as it continued for longer I went for another scan and it has now healed. I was signed off work and did rest. It is a worry and google does not help! They do normally heal by 12 weeks though but call the early pregnancy unit for advice if you are still worried they were amazing with me.

plentyofsoap Mon 20-May-13 13:23:12

Sorry 2mm in length!

GeorginaWorsley Mon 20-May-13 13:27:47

Had this with Dc4,now 7,at 13 weeks.
Had regular scans.
Did have abruption in labour though which may have been related to placental haematoma according to consultant.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 20-May-13 13:32:53

Had this with dd2 started at 11 weeks and went on up to about six months. Had a few very heavy bleeds one of which saw me hospitalised. It can go either way. I was told that if the size of haematoma is less than 50% of the size of the pregnancy sack the chances are better.

Just rest it's all you can do and you could bleed again or not at all there's no way of knowing. I got very anaemic though so any signs of dizziness exhaustion etc get ur self checked out.

MimsyBorogroves Mon 20-May-13 13:39:10

I had this between 5 and 7 weeks pregnant. Brown spotting quite frequently.

It had disappeared by the time I had my 12 week scan...which was at 16 weeks due to incompetence when I moved house.

Jollyb Mon 20-May-13 14:08:13

I bled at 6 weeks and was diagnosed with a sub chorionic haematoma measuring 2.3cm. I spotted intermittently until 9 weeks and then had another big bleed at 10 weeks. Since then no further bleeding and all going well (am
30 weeks). They are very common and the majority re absorb - try not to google too much.

PickleSarnie Mon 20-May-13 17:22:16

Agree with not googling. Google is not your friend.

I had absolutely tons of bleeding. Like a really, really heavy period for two days at just after 11 weeks. Then a couple of weeks of constant brown sludge. They found an absolutely massive haematoma measuring 10cm x 9cm x 3cm. Obviously I feared the worse but the rest of my pregnancy was uneventful and my son was born at home at 39+5 perfectly healthy.

Hope all goes well x

Smerlin Mon 20-May-13 17:43:13

I had bleeding on and off from conception- 12 weeks, brown and red due to a haematoma. (Well I presume the earliest bleeding was implantation).
Had several scans in that time.
I saw a senior consultant who said it doubles the miscarriage risk which at the time was from 2% to 4%. Like others have said, she said in the vast majority of cases it bleeds out or is reabsorbed but in a small minority it can cause abruption or so much cramping that the embryo is expelled along with the blood.

At my 12 wk scan the sonographer said she could still see the haematoma but it was small and would be gone by 20wks- 20wk scan is soon so will let you know how it goes but am definitely still pregnant!

Hope that helps- I was terribly anxious over bleeding and for me personally, it was seeing the senior consultant who actually took the time to explain everything fully that calmed me down as I felt I could rationalise the risks in my head.

She said there is nothing you can do to heal it but a lot of US websites have women saying their doctors recommend full bed rest so I just tried to rest as much as possible, not lift things etc and the bleeding stopped at 12weeks.

Bibs123 Mon 20-May-13 17:52:07

I had this at 8 weeks, it was a sudden gush of red blood followed by weeks of on/off brown spotting. I also had a heamatoma referred to as a bruise which was visable and bigger then sac at the 12 week scan but had dissappeared at the 20 week scan. My DD is now 19 months and a little terror. I am now expecting no 2 and am so paranoid and convinced that it is going to happen again. Last time I was shopping at Asda when I had the bleed which was massive luckily i had black pants on so managed to scuttle home, it was awful but reaolved quite quickly. The fact that you have seen a heartbeat reduces the risk of misscarriage immensly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now