Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

waiting for first appiontment

(7 Posts)
alan77 Sun 19-May-13 14:06:43

Hi I'm a just pregnant dad. So not sure I'm allowed on mumsnet?. Anyway my wife is seven weeks pregnant we saw the doctor over a week ago and are still waiting for an appointment to see the midwife. Is this normal and if so how long does it take?

Fuckwittery Sun 19-May-13 14:10:16

welcome to mumsnet
guidelines are I believe that your wife should have her booking in appt. (first appt with a midwife) before 10 completed weeks of pregnancy. so yes, normal. I saw doctor at 8 weeks and didn't get my booking in appointment until almost 12 weeks but they managed to fit me in for a scan within a few days. I also didn't get the letter from the hospital at all and had to ring up, so it might be worth ringing at 9 weeks to make sure she is booked in.

if you have queries or worries before the booking in appt, mumsnet is a good place to start!

Fuckwittery Sun 19-May-13 14:12:27

actually nhs site www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/antenatal-midwife-care-pregnant.aspx#close refers to first appt with either midwife or GP (so you've had that one, as your wife saw the GP) and second appt as booking in appt up to 12 weeks. I know here they do try to do before 10 weeks so that they can schedule the 12 weeks scan.

ananikifo Sun 19-May-13 14:17:26

Congratulations!

This is perfectly normal, and if they have no concerns they don't do very much at appointments anyway. I'm 17 weeks and my DH has been coming to appointments but apart from the scan they haven't been very interesting.

alan77 Sun 19-May-13 14:28:17

thankyou. feeling much more at ease now. so nervouse yet so excited

Fuckwittery Sun 19-May-13 14:39:00

there is also a big gap if i remember rightly between 16 weeks and 26 weeks ish no appointment which feels a bit odd.
congratulations, v exciting time

SadPander Sun 19-May-13 16:30:18

Congratulations! I think it varies depending on where you are. I don't get to see anyone until 12 weeks when I will have a booking in appointment and scan all in one - no contact with a Dr or midwife at all before this. I think in most areas it is more usual to have the booking in at around 7-10 weeks and they will arrange a scan for you at around 12 weeks though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now