Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in appointment.

(12 Posts)
AbiElizabeth Sun 19-May-13 11:40:45

So I have my first doctors/mw appointment on Monday and I was just wondering what will happen? The letter says it will take an hour which seems a long time. Do I need to take anything with me or know anything before going?

embaker112 Sun 19-May-13 11:48:45

Hi, you don't need to take anything with you. It's just filling in forms, you will get asked lots of questions about you and your partner and she will take blood pressure, blood and urine samples. It'll be fine! smile

AbiElizabeth Sun 19-May-13 11:53:54

eek. blood test?! I hate needles.

dizzy77 Sun 19-May-13 11:56:27

My "booking in" was a group one where about 6 of us were given all the forms to take away and an explanation of how to complete those and what happens next, what appointments to expect etc. I then had a longish appt with the midwife which went through said forms (and had blood, urine etc) after I'd completed what I can.

Rockchick1984 Sun 19-May-13 12:16:34

I hated needles but in all honesty pregnancy cured me of it - I was poked and prodded so much that you just get used to it grin

AbiElizabeth Sun 19-May-13 12:20:39

Oh well that's something else to look forward too. isn't pregnancy fun

Dusty04 Sun 19-May-13 15:02:50

I had my appointment on Friday and did last an hour. Lots of questions about mine and Dh family history, forms to complete, bp, urine test and 4 blood samples. I'm not great with needles either bit it was actually fine smile

themilkmonster Sun 19-May-13 15:08:16

You'll get given your maternity notes at the appointment too with all the info about further appointments throughout your pregnancy. The mw I saw booked my 12wk scan for me too, but this might differ from area to area.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 19-May-13 16:16:48

It felt I've the official beginning of my pregnancy to me, I had waited for so long from finding out. Was lovely to get the ball rolling. I booked at 9 weeks, later than I tried for, but nice in he end as I only waited 3 weeks till my scan. Congratulations!

AbiElizabeth Sun 19-May-13 16:33:03

Thanks smile i'll be 9 and a bit weeks on monday so hopefully wont have to wait too long for my scan grin

embaker112 Sun 19-May-13 18:36:12

I was terrified of the blood test too but it actually didn't hurt! Good luck!

AbiElizabeth Tue 21-May-13 12:47:49

Thanks guys :D Had the appointment yesterday and it was fine. The blood test hurt like a bitch though because My veins hide when they sense needles. I also embarrassed myself by hiccuping and dropping the urine sample pot down the loo. I had to go and ask for another one and left the room to my OH and MW laughing loudly at me. Ah well. Now to wait for a scan date. EEK!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now