Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 days late on my period! Could I be pregnant?

(7 Posts)
Mmh21 Sun 19-May-13 10:40:31

Hi everyone, I came off the pill in January (2013) haven't been purposely trying for a baby went with 'if it happens it happens' so haven't been stressing about it.
My periods came every month as expected until this month. I was due on, on the 11th May and have only ever been at the most 2 days late.
I have taken HPT's (3) all of which have been negative but I bought a load off eBay for £2.50 so didn't know how well they would work.
I didn't think I would be able to get pregnant as I had a scan for a non pregnancy related issue and cists were found on my ovaries but don't have PCOS.
A few years ago I had an eating disorder and find I still have slight issues in that area but even at my lowest weight I still had very regular normal flow periods (much to the doctors surprise).
I am going out this afternoon to buy a first response pregnancy test and if I haven't come on by tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to book to see the GP.
Will the doctor laugh me out of the surgery? Could I be pregnant? Please help!

drcharliegirl Sun 19-May-13 11:22:25

Hi there - sorry you've been left hanging a while...

If the first response test today is negative, I'd say it was vanishingly unlikely that you're currently pregnant. It might be worth seeing your GP to discuss your other issues and what you can do to improve your fertility and regularity with cycles in terms of your weight etc. They should also advise you about pre-conception vitamins etc (presuming conception is something you're after!)

The GP's tests will be no more accurate than first response... so little point in asking them to repeat this week. If you miss this cycle altogether though there may be a point to having some hormone levels checked.

Good luck!

PearlyWhites Sun 19-May-13 12:15:38

The eBay tests are usually very accurate so it's unlikely.

alienbanana Sun 19-May-13 12:20:30

Don't buy a first response, try one of the Superdrug tests. Half the price and more sensitive. I got a positive 5 days before AF was due on mine.

Mmh21 Sun 19-May-13 12:23:15

Thank you. I will do the test if its negative I will wait to see what happens next month before going to waste the GPs time.

TinkyPeet Sun 19-May-13 14:26:06

I wouldn't see it as wasting the GP's time, if you are worried they are there to help you, maybe they will do a blood test if your hpts are negative but still no af. Good luck x

Mmh21 Sun 19-May-13 21:35:05

Thank you. I did that test this afternoon and it was negative yet again. I am still not convinced that I'm 100% not pregnant. I'm not going to keep trying to do pregnancy tests as often, I'm going to try one a week, until I either come on or wait until the next period due date then go see GP. I'm not worried as such but not knowing is frustrating. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now