Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

One to one midwives through NHS

(6 Posts)
nomoreminibreaks Sat 18-May-13 20:55:18

Has anyone come across this? It's a service offered through the NHS that gives one to one care throughout your pregnancy from the usual appointments, scans, giving birth (at home, in a midwife led unit or in hospital) and following birth. Just one midwife (with a back up) all the way through. It's free and you can refer yourself.

Here's a link

It's not available everywhere but a friend talked to me about it and I'm booked in (7 weeks pg today). It seems almost too good to be true!

I've been told by someone who works in the NHS that community midwives are worried that it might mean they lose their jobs though.

Does anyone have any experience of it?

rubylovescheese Sat 18-May-13 22:51:38

from looking at that link they just seem a very small set up in one tiny area of the uk. great if you live there and want a home birth. not any use at all for the rest of us who may want to go to hospital and take advantage of all the facilities there. can't see any threat to normal midwives they have the protection and umbrella of the nhs to work under.

My friend used them recently and she has raved about how brilliant they were. It sounds very much like having an independent MW but through the NHS

Essexgirlupnorth Sat 18-May-13 23:11:49

I met one of the midwives at a conference a couple of years ago and she was lovely. Don't do it in my area unfortunately.

ButteryJam Sun 19-May-13 01:36:53

It looks fantastic. I don't think they've got it in my area though ...

MisselthwaiteManor Sun 19-May-13 08:24:09

I'm with these and it's my first baby so can't compare to the community midwives but I am loving it. All visits are at home apart from scans where you go to their clinic in Birkenhead, there's no massive waiting time for the scans either you turn up and go in. My midwife always books my appts around DHs shifts so he can be there for them all. The midwives I've met are all lovely and it's great having your own midwife all the way through, I've texted mine at all hours and she's always happy to help. They continue to see you up to 6 weeks after te birth if you want them to aswell. They run their own hypnobirthing and parent ed classes, and some other coffee mornings and things like that. You don't have to have a home birth you can have a hospital birth if you wish, if you have a home birth they loan you a pool. If they're available to you I would definitely reccomend giving them a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now